Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just looking to knock the exhaust smell down. I don't want to spend hundreds for a full size converter that gets smashed and I don't have room for one anyway.

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
I use one right now, but the Jeep will not pass smog.... I needed a really small one to fit for the flat skid and it worked great unit registration came due!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well we don't have smog here. So not worried about that. I knew they wouldn't be as good as a full size jobber. I just hate smelling the darn exhaust smell. More wondering if it knocks the smell down.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Seems to work just fine with that part, I did not notice any difference in smell from stock to the smaller unit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I use a magnaflow unit on a Tj due to some tight space constraints. Went through MD emissions inspection no problem. Works better than stock IMO.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use one right now, but the Jeep will not pass smog.... I needed a really small one to fit for the flat skid and it worked great unit registration came due!
Was this due to failing the visual inspection or failing the sniffer? If it was the sniffer that failed, do you have other issues that might effect the outcome of the test or is everything else good?

Aside from being a better fit for packaging above the skidplate, I want to know how well these things actually work compared to a stock cat.

Since modern cats flow pretty well (you can see right though 'em and a larger cat = larger element = more airflow) the spun ones seem kinda half-assed unless you need a tiny sized cat OR just want to clean up the exhaust smell.

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Was this due to failing the visual inspection or failing the sniffer? If it was the sniffer that failed, do you have other issues that might effect the outcome of the test or is everything else good?

Aside from being a better fit for packaging above the skidplate, I want to know how well these things actually work compared to a stock cat.

Since modern cats flow pretty well (you can see right though 'em and a larger cat = larger element = more airflow) the spun ones seem kinda half-assed unless you need a tiny sized cat OR just want to clean up the exhaust smell.

Mike

It failed on the sniffer test, the Jeep never failed prior to installing this style of cat.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Mike
I want it for a better package above the skid plate...pretty flat and tight in there and for the smell. The spun ones are just real small. Less material to actually do the job they are supposed to do. I don't imagine there would be any benefit to putting them on from a performance standpoint. I'm running a stock 4.0 so performance isn't what i'm going for.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I want it for a better package above the skid plate...pretty flat and tight in there and for the smell. The spun ones are just real small. Less material to actually do the job they are supposed to do. I don't imagine there would be any benefit to putting them on from a performance standpoint. I'm running a stock 4.0 so performance isn't what i'm going for.
If packaging is what your after then a spun cat is what you want. If you have tags and need to go through emissions, Id dig deep and see if it'll work. Md tests your gas cap, looks with a mirror, and scans for OBD2 codes. California, however, gives you and your car a colonscopy

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If packaging is what your after then a spun cat is what you want. If you have tags and need to go through emissions, Id dig deep and see if it'll work. Md tests your gas cap, looks with a mirror, and scans for OBD2 codes. California, however, gives you and your car a colonscopy
Michigan says "write me a check and you get your plates."

Unless you live in the 3 counties around Detroit. Then they do the sniffer. I am FAR from Detroit now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I know its of no concern to you but these will not pass smog inspection in california.

Converters do just that, convert. they take one gas and convert it to another. The gas that hurts your eyes is H.C. and the converter converts it to CO2 that you can not smell. But as I'm sure you know this is not the best gas to be breathing in either. If you want to stop smelling the exhaust move the tailpipe. Your not going to clean the exhaust gas your only going to convert it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Michigan says "write me a check and you get your plates."

Unless you live in the 3 counties around Detroit. Then they do the sniffer. I am FAR from Detroit now.
Just wanted to correct you on this Timmy. There is no testing, even around Detroit. There hasn't been testing in Michigan since mid 90s.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts