Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone here has ever run Co2 on there mig.If so what was the difference in welding with it.I have just had a big problem with my argon bottle and need to finish something by tomarrow night and do not have time to get approved for a account with the welding company.But I do have a full Co2 at my buddies place if I need it.Just do not want to go get it if it welds like crap you know.I run a millermatic 200 with .035 wire if that is needed to compare..thx

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
i like it over the argon mix....but my welder aka brother will tell you he likes the argon...

if there is a slight breeze there is no way you can weld with argon, co2 is way more forgiving for a shielding gas. imho it burns hotter the argon. doesnt look shiny and pretty but.....??? it takes some getting used to but you will like it. dont forget you need an adapter for your reg for a c02 bottle;)

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
I didn't know you could use pure co2.. so I searched!

Carbon Dioxide (CO2)
Although argon and helium are used for gas metal arc welding of most metals, carbon dioxide has become widely used for the welding of mild steels. Carbon dioxide is a compound gas which is composed of carbon and oxygen. At high temperatures the carbon dioxide dissociates into carbon monoxide and free oxygen. This free oxygen is used to superheat the weld puddle, thus helping eliminate undercut. Based on manganese and silicon losses, a shield for carbon dioxide has an oxidation potential of 10%.

CO2 has a tendency to cause a spattering, unstable arc when used for open arc transfer of weld metals. The weld spatter may be contained to some degree by maintaining a short arc: i.e., by burying the arc in the workpiece.

source:
http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2002/gases/

-tom

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good answers and help.I have a Co 2 reg from my paintball days I can use it.It is my buddies that have a chain of paintball stores that is loaning me the bottle.I will try it out and see.All the welds are being smoothed out so no worry about the look's.thx

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
TheRipper said:
Good answers and help.I have a Co 2 reg from my paintball days I can use it.It is my buddies that have a chain of paintball stores that is loaning me the bottle.I will try it out and see.All the welds are being smoothed out so no worry about the look's.thx

Just make sure that there isn't a diptube in the tank.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
71RCKCRZR RYAN said:
dont forget you need an adapter for your reg for a c02 bottle;)
wrong! :flipoff2:

that's only if you have a "beverage" style valve on the co2 bottle. valves are $10 at your local fire extinguisher place.. You can usually pick up psi (beverage) style regulators for that price too. 20 psi is a good setting for mild steel, 100 am and below stuff.

j

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I have a miller 200, and also a miller 250x, both run CO2 exclusively.... not
a problem. argon welds at a slightly lower temp so you have to turn up the
current slightly to compensate..... co2 leaves a slight-amount more spatter
on thin materials, sheet stock, etc. both my machines also run .035 wire..

the difference will be neglible for what you're going to do.

--Sherpa

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was told a while ago that you can't get the "spray transfer" with straight CO2. My gas comes free from work so I use the argon mix (don't tell my work, they don't know...).
Spray- Set the voltage on high 20-30 volts and practice. The bead is not as tall either. The welding machine has a quiet hum instead of the snapping noise. I use spray for thicker material, better penetration.
Not 100% sure CO2 won't work for this, just what I was told.

·
Registered
766 Posts
there is a little known fact that you need to point out to the wife...

See honey, I use CO2 for my welding and I had to get a spare tank, it is really just a coincidence though that I'm able to use it for my home built kegerator :grinpimp:

bk

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Co2 is all I use at home and at school. Its not as pretty as Argon mix but it works just fine. Like was said, it burns hotter and is more forgiving of wind and stuff. Just keep the nozzle clean.

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thx for the input guy's I found a guy that filled the bottle for me for a extra $10.It is a 300 cf bottle so it was $51 total.The Co2 bottels I had access to do not have a dip tube they are 6k bottles the hughe ones.They have a co2 pump at5 the store they use them at.I am going to try it later anyway just for the hell of it to see if I like it or not.I have also heard that if you use Co2 over flux core wire it makes a really nice weld.I have some in my 135 hobart I may try that also just to see.

·
Registered
260 Posts
does anyone know if i can have my co2 argon tank filled with just co2. i know just go ask the welding supply place but this is easier. thanks

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
turbo4runner said:
does anyone know if i can have my co2 argon tank filled with just co2. i know just go ask the welding supply place but this is easier. thanks
They should if not find a local paintball store and they will fill it for you.And it will be cheaper than argon most likely.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
cool2see said:
What about Co2 off of the air compressor????????
The content of CO2 in ambient air that what would come out of your compressor is less than 300 parts per million by volume of air (0.03%). If you can create a process to seperate CO2 economically from the atmosphere you would be the first.

HossCat said:
:shaking:
To some the question may have been inane but your response was hardly helpfull was it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
jasonmt said:
To some the question may have been inane but your response was hardly helpfull was it?

Well , I would've typed what you typed but , I was out the day that was discussed at Geek University. :flipoff2: (dont be pissed, man...just friendly ribbing)

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
HossCat said:
Well , I would've typed what you typed but , I was out the day that was discussed at Geek University. :flipoff2: (dont be pissed, man...just friendly ribbing)

I don't know how they teach where you live but my response was barely high school level chemistry/physics. :flipoff2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts