Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see some internal cages for sale but what about a exo cage? I want one. I can try to make it myself but im sure it will look like crap.

Nick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,079 Posts
You might wanna look into your local 4x4 Shops and even Race Car Fab. Shops-they bend DOM all the time. I'm not gonna lie to you...you are looking at a easy $800 on up. I just got my 100ft of 2 x.120 DOM and it was $410 <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0"> And my JD2 bender I have 1K in it already!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,471 Posts
Originally posted by muppetz3:
<STRONG>I see some internal cages for sale but what about a exo cage? I want one. I can try to make it myself but im sure it will look like crap. </STRONG>
Yeah, sure... but it has to be truck-freight-shipped. Internals are just barely on the ragged edge of UPS, and if it goes truck, it's at least $300 in shipping alone. Add that onto the $800+ that one might cost, and you're up to about what it should cost installed, but you've still got a whole lotta welding to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
well this is my girls computer but im rokkroler and i build exo's....look at rockdaddys in the for sale section..i built that <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> ....-matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish i had a 4x4 shop around here. The only one there is can only install lifts and do gears. No tire balancer, no welder and cant fab. =( NY sucks.
Maybe i will just make it out of square tube. Or have non at all. <IMG SRC="smilies/jeep1.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/jeep1.gif" border="0">


Nick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,647 Posts
Originally posted by muppetz3:
<STRONG>I see some internal cages for sale but what about a exo cage? I want one. I can try to make it myself but im sure it will look like crap.

Nick</STRONG>
3 words.

Talk to TinBender!
<IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,820 Posts
Muppet I think yopu should buy BudR a tube bender and have him build you one <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
Hey Nick,
I agree with Eli.......
Talk to Bud. He has a lot on his plate (when doesnt he? <IMG SRC="smilies/smile.gif" border="0"> ) but could probably use the business.

He usually buys his steel in bulk in one shot, as its cheaper that way......

Hell, I want to make a cargo frame for the back of my mini, and will probably ask Bud to get the steel for me when he buys his........

Maybe we could all go in on some at one time......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Eli, "I love you man!" <IMG SRC="smilies/smile.gif" border="0">
yeah, I need to get a bender and do my runner first, then yours Nick! <IMG SRC="smilies/smile.gif" border="0"> Art gets a nice flatbed, life is good... <IMG SRC="smilies/smile.gif" border="0">
I'm working on it. Eli, you'll have to make a weekend trip and we'll do your new runner too! <IMG SRC="smilies/smile.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Party at Buds!! <IMG SRC="smilies/bounce.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/bounce2.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/bounce.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/bounce2.gif" border="0"> hehe. Yea i would not mind giving you some money Bud. It can weld to my nerf bars. I just want to protect my glass.

Nick
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,352 Posts
Toss the exo and learn how to drive...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Crash did you just tell me to learn how to drive? Ever seen ur name Crash?? <IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0"> hehe. Sometime you just can slide into things. That and i think it would look cool as hell =)

Nick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
Yeah, I'm with muppet on this one Crash......

In New England, there's a lot of low hanging trees and brush, and mud.....Some trails that you literally have to squeeze thru.....protecting the glass and body work from bangin into stuff is important, since once you damage the paint up here, you get the nasty body cancer.
And as for glass, have you ever tried driving at 55 MPH down the road in 10 or 20 degree weather, with sleet or wet snow flying thru the cab?

I think out west, the purpose of an exo is to stricyly keep the occupants from getting crushed in a rollover......
Up here they also work to protect the truck, and help keep it street legal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Cracker:
<STRONG>Yeah, I'm with muppet on this one Crash......

In New England, there's a lot of low hanging trees and brush, and mud.....Some trails that you literally have to squeeze thru.....protecting the glass and body work from bangin into stuff is important, since once you damage the paint up here, you get the nasty body cancer.
And as for glass, have you ever tried driving at 55 MPH down the road in 10 or 20 degree weather, with sleet or wet snow flying thru the cab?

I think out west, the purpose of an exo is to stricyly keep the occupants from getting crushed in a rollover......
Up here they also work to protect the truck, and help keep it street legal.</STRONG>
Yup Yup.

Nick
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
389 Posts
Buy a tubing bender for $100 and do it yourself. The more you do, the better you get at it. It took me a week or two to do mine, but it was well woth it. It is great being able to pivot around trees and rocks on the rear bars and not have to worry about sheetmetal. It is a luxury like the Marlin Crawler, it takes away many worries and sorrows. <IMG SRC="smilies/smile.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/smile.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/wink.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
hey redcage-
Where did you get your tubing bender? I'm thinkin of doin one to, but gotta get the stuff to do it with.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,352 Posts
Originally posted by muppetz3:
<STRONG>Crash did you just tell me to learn how to drive? Ever seen ur name Crash?? <IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0"> hehe. Sometime you just can slide into things. That and i think it would look cool as hell =)

Nick</STRONG>
Yup, i sure did <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
Ya, that falls into the "shit happens", but how many times have somebody slid into something, and blamed it on being slick/hard trail ect ect ect when it was actually how you aproached the obstacle??
When i live, we have the same thing, tons of trees, slick root balls, slick rocks, ect ect. ANd I have ran just about everything in the state worth running, and my cab is only slightly dinged up...
What ever happened to the technical aspect of the sport?? Now everyone wants to jump on the EXO cage bandwagon, and why put plastic over good furnature??
I personally think they are ugly as sin..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
Originally posted by redcagetoy:
<STRONG>Buy a tubing bender for $100 and do it yourself.</STRONG>
Yo, redcagetoy, show me a tubing bender for $100!!! Lotsa *pipe* benders for that price, but I haven't found a tubing bender for less than $250, and goodies like dial angle guage is even more!!

show me show me show me
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,375 Posts
Originally posted by ryanwhit:
<STRONG>hey redcage-
Where did you get your tubing bender? I'm thinkin of doin one to, but gotta get the stuff to do it with.</STRONG>
I got mine from these guys.
To do a good job your still looking at about $800 for the minimum bender and dies you'll need. Then after you get going your gonna want more dies. I suggest you buy only 180 degree dies. The 90's are cheaper but you will limit yourself later.
CJ
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top