Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dodge kingpin D60 and D70 rear from a prior scrapped project that was supposed to be a "beat the crap out of it without care" rock crawler, that I'm now considering putting under my current Scout 80. This would be my first foray into full widths on a smaller than full size rig, so I don't have prior practical experience with running full width axles.

Only thing is that I'm not planning on doing any hard core off roading with this one, and this is just more of a "well...I've already got the axles sitting here.." kind of thing.

I'll likely be running 37s, as I already have a stack of military 37s sitting here, and a set of H1 wheels intended for the other project. Otherwise I probably would have went 35s. My last Scout was SOA on 35s, and I really liked how that worked.

I was considering picking up a set of Scout II D44s for it..but then I get back to "well..I already have the tons sitting here..." :p I'm just not sure that having full width, massive axles under there is actually going to become a hindrance for occasionally tooling around town on the weekends, and running the easier trails. I already have a SBC/SM465/NP205 in the Scout, so I won't have a problem turning the axles or tires.

·
Registered
278 Posts
if you're worried about weight, it wasn't even noticeable for me. I just went from a cherokee on 35's/stock axle to my fresh build 1 tons/ 37's. it's great on the street, still does 80mph on the freeway, and it wheels much better

I avoided going full width. I run H2 wheels for the high backspace and am very happy being narrow. so keep in mind a little back space swapping can go a long way. no regrets on the 1 tons so far

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Like ^^ said. A little backspacing on the wheels goes a long way. I would say it's not worth the hassle of narrowing a set of axles anymore. I'm running full width tons under my 48" wide buggy and 5.5" backspace wheels. It's not at all too wide IMO.
Plus off the shelf parts for tons are everywhere and they'll slide right in should you ever need them without getting custom axles cut.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I would LOVE to have a street driven "trail rig" on tons and 37s.

You never have to worry about axle breakage, even when you get in a hairy situation and "need" to beat on it a bit.

A buddy of mine had an FJ40 (350sbc/th350/205) on CUCV 1 tons, Stock H1 wheels (got high steer arms that would clear them at stock backspacing and cut the factory steering arms off), and 37" hummer tires.

It LOOKED like a mildly lifted FJ40 on stock axles with 37s, but had heavy duty hardware underneath.

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
im running full size 10bolts on my s10 blazer (same as dana44s) and i wouldnt have it any other way. i do a lot of trails and the tires save so much body damage. theres been a few instances trying to climb a muddy hill and slid down sideways where im sure stock width axles would have had me tumbling down

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I would LOVE to have a street driven "trail rig" on tons and 37s.

You never have to worry about axle breakage, even when you get in a hairy situation and "need" to beat on it a bit.
This is exactly the thought behind my cj7.

I would never go back to weak factory axles (jeep, toy, scout, etc).

The extra width is the best change I made to the Jeep.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
The only concern I have about going full width is the trails around here are tight and will require some additional finesse to navigate. Not really a huge concern when you can hammer down and not worry about axle carnage...

FWIW track width of a full width Ford 60 is only a couple inches wider than your standard Toyota front set up (IFS hubs, 2" spacers and 2" BS wheels).

·
Ford Bigot
4,100 Posts
The only concern I have about going full width is the trails around here are tight and will require some additional finesse to navigate. Not really a huge concern when you can hammer down and not worry about axle carnage...

FWIW track width of a full width Ford 60 is only a couple inches wider than your standard Toyota front set up (IFS hubs, 2" spacers and 2" BS wheels).

By a couple, you mean 11? IFS Toyota is 58" wide for reference. Ford 60s are 69.25".

One ton axles are like fake boobs: the only people who regret them are feminists.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
My Toyota setup used to fit with inches to spare on a 77inch wide trailer. Same wheels on full width Chevy 60 (solid axle hubs) it's 82.
Love it. Can bash as hard as I want and know they aren't going to break

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
Nope - it's awesome!

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
I've had full width axles in a CJ5, CJ8, Scout 80, and a jeep based buggy.
It was the right choice for all of them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the help guys :)

Thought it over last night, and started running some numbers in the GrimmJeeper calculator. The axles currently have 3.54 gears in them, and with the SM465 trans I'm running, it's almost like I'd have the best of both worlds as the final gearing works out dang near equivalent to my Grand Cherokee on 33s with a 5 speed OD trans and I've been pretty happy with how that's worked off road plus I won't be spinning insane RPMs on the freeway.

So I'm going to keep the tons, and work on getting them under the Scout in the fall when oven here in Phoenix gets switched off. I figure if I do end up deciding that the gearing ends up tall, I can always swap in a 5 speed later and bump up axle gearing.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
By a couple, you mean 11? IFS Toyota is 58" wide for reference. Ford 60s are 69.25".
I am talking track width: tire contact patch center to center. Not WMS of the axle.

Stock Toyota WMS plus 4" from spacers and 4" for the difference in backspacing (assuming 2" BS on the Toy vs 4" on a 60) puts track width at 66".

4" backspacing on a 8" rim puts the center of the tire contact patch in-line with the wheel mounting surface on each side. So 4" BS on a full width Ford 60 get you a track width of 69.25"

Like I said, pretty damn close. :flipoff2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts