Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how to go about mounting it as far as angles and such and how it seems to ride with this style of mounting versus the hiem joint style of mounting. Seems to be positives to both sides of the equation, but the shackle would seem to be a lot stronger and not put so much weight of the vehicle on such a small part, thus less possibility of breakage. Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
The rod ends are plenty strong. If i recall correctly the Aurora's (3/4's)are like 12,000 a pices max satic load. Now times that by 2. Let me take some digitals of mine and I will post them. If, you want I could make some for you. I also have some 3/4's on order. If you are interested let me know.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey,
I would appreciate it if you could take some close up pics of how you set yours up. I can get some 1 inch tractor joints from the local farm store that I would think would be strong enough as well. What I am unsure of, is how people are connecting the hiem joints to the axle. Would seem as if there were a lot of forces on it if it were just welded on. Let me know how you are going about building the linkage from the springs to the axle. Also tell me how much those aurora joints are going for. Thanks

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I don't think there is as much load as you are thinking. All it does is hold the unsprung weight of the vehicle up. There is no side load at all, just straight down load.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you go about mounting your hiem joint on that metal? Got any close up pics of the mount. What do you think about running a hiem joint off the axle in the oposite way that you have done and then connecting the hiem joint and spring by using a shackle..., bolt running through the hiem joint and bolt running through the spring?

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
desertoy said:
I don't think there is as much load as you are thinking. All it does is hold the unsprung weight of the vehicle up. There is no side load at all, just straight down load.
Do you mean putting the threaded end of the heim down toward the axle??
The only way I could think of to do that would be to weld a threaded piece to the axle housing for the heim to screw into. Is that what you meant??

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I currently have is a sort of square perch sitting about 2-3 inches off the top of the axle where I had mounted my coils when I was running coils in the rear. I have a hole drilled in the center of the 5X5 coil perch and was thinking of just enlarging the hole, and stuffing a 1 inch tractor joint, threaded end through the hole, bolting it down on the bottom side and welding it on the top side. Then just run a shackle set up like I previously discribbed. See any problems with that?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I would not weld the joint to the axle. I would rather use jam nuts so you could replace it when you needed to. I have seen Grady set up some where he welds on a big block of steel to the back of the axle and just threads the joint in.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
coiled said:
What I currently have is a sort of square perch sitting about 2-3 inches off the top of the axle where I had mounted my coils when I was running coils in the rear. I have a hole drilled in the center of the 5X5 coil perch and was thinking of just enlarging the hole, and stuffing a 1 inch tractor joint, threaded end through the hole, bolting it down on the bottom side and welding it on the top side. Then just run a shackle set up like I previously discribbed. See any problems with that?
That would probably work just fine. The only problem I see is with the square perch on your axle housing and a heim joint and a shackle you might have a problem with the ride height beind too high. I will depend on how you connect the 1/4 eliptic spring to the frame. With your setup, you might consider connecting it to the top of the frame.
Now that I think about it, if you are planning on running toyota rear axle housing you might have a problem with the 1/4 spring leaning into the tire or the backing plate under articulation.
The best bet is to mock it up and check all that stuff.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am running fullwidth axles, not sure on the ride height issue. I'm just gunna rest the spring eye on the square perch and see where I am at and how much I can spare to lift it more for the setup. Spring packs are done and I am going to set it up tomarrow. I can always run a small shackle so I don't think it will be too high. We shall see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts