Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a chevy C1500 for 700 bucks, it has a 4.3 w a 5speed, I am building a 350 SBC for it and it will be a TBI, Im curious as to how that 5 speed will hold up. Also its a 1/2 ton regular cab regular bed (grandpa lookin mutha!!) Should I look into swapping 3/4 ton springs into it? I am wanting to put some lift front coils on it and was going to lift the rear to match I just want to be sure it will haul my little blazer OK. What 5 speed is this also? (and before ya start harpin on the rearend, I have a FF14bolt on standby duty! LOL ) :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
A friend of mine has a '95 Chevy single cab SWB that we have towed with several times. Only bad thing was the brakes. The 14 bolt should help that out. Discs would be cool too since it is so cheap and easy. We didn't expect to get going too fast too quick with the 4.3, but it would keep everything going 70-75 easily. This was on relatively flat land though. We never towed over about 5k lbs. with it, but it did fine up to 5k. We never had trouble with the rearend wanting to swap ends either. The 5 spd. held up fine, but the clutch went out at about 120k miles. You might consider putting an overload in it or helper springs, and depending on the wieght you are going to tow, the 3/4 ton springs might be a good option. It all really depends on the weight you are going to be towing with it.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn you towed with the 4.3!! Im putting in a 350 (5.7L TBI) so I dont think power will be an issue, so the 5 speed gave you no problems cool, I plan to put in a clutch when I swap motors as well

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Pdaddy said:
Damn you towed with the 4.3!! Im putting in a 350 (5.7L TBI) so I dont think power will be an issue, so the 5 speed gave you no problems cool, I plan to put in a clutch when I swap motors as well
If i am right, there is someone on here who use a 4cyl 4wd tacoma to tow his jeep... i think it was pig.. wanna talk about small motors in tow rigs. :flipoff2:

Also, is it just me, or are people using smaller and smaller tow rigs? When i asked about towing with my 1500 ram, most people told me it would be unsafe and i shouldnt do it.. but it seems like people keep using smaller and smaller tow rigs. Is it just me, or am i missing something?

Garrett

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Hick said:

If i am right, there is someone on here who use a 4cyl 4wd tacoma to tow his jeep... i think it was pig.. wanna talk about small motors in tow rigs. :flipoff2:

Krusty flat tows his Toy trail rig with a 4cyl. Toy that has a camper top on it. We're talkin SLOW on the grades;)

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
I used to flat tow my beast with my 6 cyll Tacoma, and I thought THAT was slow :eek:

Back on topic, I think brakes in front should be upgraded, just for safety sake. And if you are already swapping in a 14 bolt might as well get 3/4 ton springs with it ;) SOunds like itll work good for you!

·
Registered
834 Posts
I had a 97 silverado with a 4.3 and auto tranny. It towed 3 400ex quads, a yz250 dirt bike, Riding gear, camping gear , gas and everything else for three people to camp for 10 days. We went over donner summet at 75-80 the whole way.
I've towed a 4000 lbs jeep on a trailer over donner at 70 no problem.
That motor is real strong if you treat it right. I never had a problem and I put over 125,000 miles on the truck.
Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts