Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
dunno... but that 1st one you posted is one damn sexy seat! go do a test sit in a few if they are local and give us some first impressions.!

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
My neighbor has the rib support model (2nd) in his WRX and I didn't like them much. Honestly they are a tight fit and supportive, but I thought it was really uncomfortable due to the rib wings.

The 1st one you posted is a very nice seat and prtty comfortable when using the padded covers.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, well sounds like it's worth a trip over to have a look.

Maybe I'll even bring the digi cam.

Phil

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
That's all Shannon Campbell uses, and I know he likes 'em.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
watch those side bolsters.
a lot of those seats leave big guys sucking for air from the tight fit. I had to look at a few seats before settling on one that didn't crush my rib cage when I sat in it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wondering how they compare comfort wise to the so called "suspension seats" from Beard, or Corbeau Baja.

They must be good quality if Campbell uses them, but I don't want to be sore as hell after a day on the trail.

Hard to tell long term comfort in the showroom :confused:

Phil

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The SCCA people use the Kirkey seats very often, but once were in the car we pretty much can’t move.
I haven’t been to a rock crawling comp, but when I wheel my Jeep I like to look around. I couldn’t do that in my Kirkey seat. The only thing I can move are my legs arms and twist my neck.
It’s a comfy seat though. :D

You need to pick the right size (14, 15, 16, etc.) and angle too.
So, sit on a chair and measure you width across your butt. That will be the "size", then you'll probably want a 20* so you can lean back a little.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I guess I'm going down there to see them in person tonight.
So I'll make sure I get one that fits. Just not sure how comfy they will be for the long trail rides.

Oh, and I am looking at the drag race seats. No giant wrap around wings on them.

Phil

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Take a look, but from what i have felt (from sititng in a bunch of seats at the off road expo), the mastercraft rubicon seat kicks ass. Most comfy thing i have ever sat in, and its a racing seat. I wanted to put a pair in my daily driver.. decided to buy a 4 runner insted.. as the $750 for the seats, plus shipping, plus the price i woudl have paid to have a cage built, and then the seat brackets... too much...
But check out the venders section for some seats for pretty cheap.

Garrett

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I have one (not kirkey but another aluminum style) in my single seat buggy . I needed to be on top of the t-case and it's only a mm or two thick.... Not to mention it fits like a glove. I have the sprint car type with the large ears and on flops with just a lap belt it feels like I'm up right..... and without those ears for support at donner when I end over end rolled I'd have been thrown all over... thumbs up....oh, the only thing is if it's fit to you unless your friends are the same size they can't get in ....

pics here
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56905&highlight=memorial

·
A fucking killer
7,803 Posts
we have one in our race car (Rx-7) and it took for ever to oder. 6 week back order...that sucked.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
zakk said:
we have one in our race car (Rx-7) and it took for ever to oder. 6 week back order...that sucked.
Hah - that's the beauty of living 50 minutes drive from the factory.
Went over after work and picked me up a pair ;)

Phil

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's the seats I got for under US$150 with no shipping ;)

The fit REALLY good, and are very comfortable. We'll see how I like them after a long trail ride though :confused:

Hopefully they are good. The other neat thing is wow are they light. Both seats can be picked up with a finger each like this :flipoff2:

Phil

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Those are SWEET! Make my RCI's look like pure shit! :D By the time I buy covers I'll be into them for $100-120...I might sell these before I even mount them :D

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
we run that style on our baja car and they are ok...

I would say they are super comfy as my butt get sore sitting in the for a few hours.

We use ultra lights thought but same basic design.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts