Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to put dual d60s under the XJ and 37"+ tires. I know I need to reinforce the unibody alot. Ive seen pics of what the JeepSpeed guys do and I know a guy who runs 39.5s on his XJ by adding two frame rails to the inside of the unibody. I was just wondering what or if anyone on here is doing to make their unibody stronger for the extra weight of the bigger tires and drivetrain?

·
Registered
824 Posts
many folks sleeve their unibody frame rails with thicker steel. you could try
it's been discussed before.

·
Registered
875 Posts
My control arm mounts are tied through the body and directly load the cage.The body and cage are stressed as one unit,spredding the load evenly.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
1. mauler is right, a cage can help significantly, especially when you tie the CA/leaf mounts into it. id do that as step 1

2. just make some templates for the frame rails, cut yourself some plate (id use 3/16) and weld those suckers on there. use this opportunity to relocate any CA mounts/spring mounts you want, and get some skid plate action out of it- like a big flat trans/tcase skid.

go to www.naxja.org and search for posts by beezil. he reinforced his frame with his longarm setup. thats the idea you're looking for.

cheers

·
Registered
220 Posts
I did many reinforcements that were weight-conscience using what's refered to by metal bitches (manufacturers) as "hat sections" and I welded these ABOVE the uniframe...I think it was crash that first called it an "uberframe"....My ISP just sold-out to a larger outfit, and all my pics got dumped, and I still need to upload more pics, and I'll show you what I mean by it....also did some channels in the LCA area, and a "tucked up" skid/member

for now, I'll leave you a pic of the cage, so you know, the rollcage is 90% done in the pic, I don't wanna hear no bitchin about what I be lackin'.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah that articehelped a ton, I think I'll do wat EasyXJ has done. Anyone got more pics or ideas post.

Hey Xenodank,

How are the 37s and stock axlesholding up? Im thinking of running 35s on my lp d30 and 29 spline 8.25, should I be ok if I easy offroad? Of course the d60s will be getting ready while Im rolling on the 35s.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You wanna do what Easy has done???

You mean you want to rip apart a pefectly good XJ?

I dunno what drives that kid.

between me and you, I think it was bad acid.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
There's no such thing as bad acid:flipoff2:

It's quite simple to do what I did, but don't just stop at the frame rails. I don't know if the pics show it but I did the cut out rockers, replaced with rect. tubing. If you do that then tie it together you can really strengthen everything without the addition of the cage for now, but if you're throwing 60's under it you need a cage for safety not strength.

Easy

·
Registered
751 Posts
Here is what I did to my ZJ

http://www.northern4x4.com/ak-extreme/tech/rearlongarm/rearlongarm.htm

And cause I like pictures here are a couple of the subframe I made. It is 4x6 .250 tubing cut to make 2 3x4 channels. You have to tap it on with a sledge (lightly) but the fit is nice.

Here is a Picture of it installed. I located it with some sleeved bolts and tack welded in variuous places. I have wheeled it all last summer and it works great. I plan on tying the cage into it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts