Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The search is off right now on the board so I will just post it.I had a guy telling me you can put part of the planatary from a aod in the c6 somehow and it makes your gearing lower than hell in a C6.He said it lowered all the gears where it was not streetable anymore though.But that is not a issue in our cases most of the time.I was thinking if this is true then it could be better than getting lower gears in the transfer case and cheaper.I alsready have 6.72 in the rock's but if I swap motors I will be back to the gearless 205.

·
Registered
531 Posts
check out "rockrod" on here. I believe he has a pretty sick blown 5.0 mill backed by a C6 with a FRPP first gear setup. Might be an AOD planetary.
HTH,
Aaron

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx I was doing a search on the net and found a place that sales the setup for $229.It put's the first gear at 2.71 and the second gear at 1.53.But the way the other guy talked there were stock parts to interchange and get it even lower.I will look up the guy you mentioned..thx
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/C4_C6.htm

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Not sure about AOD parts swapping in. I run E40D planetaries in my C6 for the lower first, but it is still way streetable. I bought the full roller kit from Ford Motorsports and I am very happy with the quality.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have a C6 that we built a few years ago at he Ford shop with the AOD gears. They are a bit lower, which make a good noticeable difference, but nowhere the amount you friend stated. I would defiantly swap the gears, and do some valve and spring work. That tranny is capable of being really bad ass.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found some good info on the set and also looked at the stuff in the ford motorsport's catalog.I am thinking go with the new planatery with the 6 sides instead of 4 and add all the needle bearing's to it.That say's it makes it 45% stronger I read.Then go with the shift kit in race setup form with the good band's and maybe the 300m main shaft for it.Then add about a 2600 stall convertor.Thx for the help and letting me know what you guy's have.I will be running a 205 behind the setup so I need all the gearing possible but do have 6.72's in the axles.I also have a 91 roller motor with a b-cam,gt-40 ported and polished head's,and all the other small thing's done to it with a torker 2 intake on top for it.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
BTT.

I went with the Ford Racing kit. It includes the 6 pinion first gear planetary, and a 4 pinion intermediate planetary, along with torrington thrust bearings replacing all the regular flat thrust washers.

You get 2 big improvements:

1) low first and second gear, along with lower reverse- effectively widens the gear ratios for a 'wide ratio' gear set.

2) roller thrustwashers reduce heat and free up power that is otherwise spent trying to turn the gears under load.

It's not really that expensive when you think about the advantages. Since the parts are from an E4OD, you 'could' do the conversion yourself. It's pretty much just parts swapping. I did the FRP kit becuase I could not find a donor E4OD and the parts from FRP are brand new.

I also did some other mods while building the tranny:

installed 5 disc forward and low gear clutch assemblies.
installed a lower ratio intermediate lever (can't remember ratio)
installed Art Carr reverse manual VB for offroad with compression braking

I have run this engine/tranny combo about 6 times now with last one being Las Cruces. The tranny has worked pretty well. I think I have a problem with the intermediate servo- it sticks some times and will cause a brief lock-up ccondition when upshifting from 2 to 3, and back down from 3 to 2. It climbs great. You only have to very lightly tap the throttle to pop over a big rock. With steep ledges, just rest foot on throttle and apply a some light braking to load everything up and it just creeps along.

It does shift hard from 1-2, hard enough to bark the 39s under full throttle on the street in 2H. The lower first gear combined with the 5.13s has enough off idle torque to spin the 39s from a standing start with no power braking. With engine idling in first gear, just take foot of brake, stomp the throttle to the floor and you get about 10 feet of tire spin until they hook up. Not bad for a dinky 5.0 not getting any boost until about 2800 rpm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts