Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the 2L out of my new project. The guy I bought it from said it didn't run, but he didn't know why. He had bought it for parts. So, I get the block out this afternoon, put it on the stand and flip it over to take a look. Open it up and this is what I see. This is the bottom of the #1 Cylinder.

and this is the chip that's missing:

I figure the damage is fatal, but I'm not sure. The cap was off the rod when I got it so I never had a chance to try. Cranking it by hand it seems like there's pretty good compression.

The chip that's in the second pic is the lower part of the cylinder wall. The cylinder is not short enough that the rings show at B.D.C, but I figure that toyota engineers must have left the cylinder that long for a reason. The rod stud on that side of the rod was bent as well. The only thing I can figure is that somehow that caught the cylinder wall somehow. (See the divit in the chip and again on the inside of the cylinder wall where the chip was removed.)

I guess my question is really whether or not the engine should be run without that piece of the cylinder wall.

Everything else seems good.

What do you all think caused this?

If the compression is good, is it still a runner or is it fatal?

If it's dead, what is it worth in parts?

Question fot the Aussies, what is a good diesel upgrade engine that would be relatively easy to swap in? I have a friend that imports engines that's willing to help me out.

Thank, in advance for your help.

Drew

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Maybe it's a self-clearancing design. :D

If you can find a block cheaper than sleeving this block, that would be the way to go. Sleeving a block is not a problem though. To find what caused the misshap, tear more of the block down until the problem is found.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm not too sure how that engine is put together, but sleeves are no big deal if that's the way it was designed. And if it's not, and it runs like that, what the hell... even with some serious piston slap you can run it till it completely explodes. :D :D :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts