Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Radiator took a crap and they want $600 for a recore. Anyone know of supplier with better prices? Or even another vehicle application that will fit a 1974 scout II? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Ron Davis, IHON, SSS, Chevy. Grab your sawsall and there are many that will work :flipoff2:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Search on Binderplanet, there is a thread there about a Summit Alum Radiator that will work in a scout pretty easily. I forget the part number. I put it in my traveler 6 years ago and it has been perfect.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Search on Binderplanet, there is a thread there about a Summit Alum Radiator that will work in a scout pretty easily. I forget the part number. I put it in my traveler 6 years ago and it has been perfect.
Ok, I saw this:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=712392

Would that work? Also, whats involved in a cradle? Would a rad shop be able to TIG tabs on, or would the rad split?

What you were referencing, does it involve a cradle fab or bolt on? Got so much shit going on now with another vehicle I really do not have the time... but alas by rig is a DD... :shaking:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yeah basically that, I fabbed up a cradle using angle iron it wasnt to bad of a job and I suck as a fabricator. I used copper adapters to get the host to work its kinda mickey moused but like I said 6 years later its still going strong.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I have a good used one out of a scout traveler (345 and automatic), not sure on year, 76 thru 79, central Iowa.
$100.00 you come get it.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
there is a vendor on pirate that has a number of scout replacment radiators. Look in the vendor section for RND Fab or something like that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm leaning towards this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRI-1-56222-X?autofilter=1&part=GRI-1-56222-X&N=4294839040+115&autoview=sku

However, does anyone know what the rad size is on a 1974 Scout II? I took a rough measurement, trying to work around the shroud and it looks like ~22 inches tall by ~24 inches wide. Not sure if this is right or not, could someone please verify? Thanks again!!

...and are the inlets on a stock Scout rad 1.5 for inlet and 1.75 for outlet? I see on a scout parts site that they are both 2.0" Any additional help appreciated. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Go with a tru-kool, howe, afco, or speedway brand (usually a reboxed trukool or afco) As griffins and fluidynes are usually sealed with epoxy. speedwaymotors.com

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do you mean by "epoxy"? I though that the core was brazed/tig welded???

Also, I remeasured and it seems to be 26" wide, so the summit one will work. I do have one more question. Summit has a 2 core rad 26x19 with 1.25" tubes and the other one has 1" tubes. The difference is like $100.00. What are the "tubes" in a radiator, and is bigger better? Thanks again!!

I will look at the other manufactures you mentioned. Please explain the epoxy thing again. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
What do you mean by "epoxy"? I though that the core was brazed/tig welded???

Also, I remeasured and it seems to be 26" wide, so the summit one will work. I do have one more question. Summit has a 2 core rad 26x19 with 1.25" tubes and the other one has 1" tubes. The difference is like $100.00. What are the "tubes" in a radiator, and is bigger better? Thanks again!!

I will look at the other manufactures you mentioned. Please explain the epoxy thing again. Thanks!
Radiator end tanks are either stamped, welded or epoxied to the core, when things get hot epoxy likes to come apart and start leaking.

Theirs more too it then that, but that's the gist of it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Radiator end tanks are either stamped, welded or epoxied to the core, when things get hot epoxy likes to come apart and start leaking.

Theirs more too it then that, but that's the gist of it.

Thanks!!! Is Be-cool a reasonable brand? I was told over at BinderPlanet that it would be a PIA as the inlet tubes were different sizes. However, after measuring a spare water pump and thermo housing, the inlet/outlet tubes are exactly the same as the rad that summit or speedway carry.

Also, one other thing. If I use the chevy cradle mounts Bottom and upper what would the recommended offset be between the mounts and rad, so that once you tighten down the upper bracket it holds the rad firmly in place? Are these brackets sufficient or should I mount "sleeves" (c-channel) on the verticals to hold the rad and keep from twisting? Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thanks for the plugs, guys. Ours is a bolt-in, no cutting required solution. All welded, all aluminum, NO epoxy radiator. Also, we offer a discount for Pirate4x4 members, bringing the radiator to $350. You can email me at [email protected] or pm me here and I'll give you a shipping quote.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks for the plugs, guys. Ours is a bolt-in, no cutting required solution. All welded, all aluminum, NO epoxy radiator. Also, we offer a discount for Pirate4x4 members, bringing the radiator to $350. You can email me at [email protected] or pm me here and I'll give you a shipping quote.
Sparky:

Did you ever get around to developing a radiator for 4 cylinder 800 body and the Scout 80? I got my 5.3 sitting in my 80 right now and left the front cross member and bulkhead in place. I'm looking for a radiator that can keep it cool and fit in the stock opening.

Thanks

Pete

·
Registered
496 Posts
we have one for the Scout 800's, but I think they were all V8 models. Got a few pictures of your setup you can email to me at [email protected]?

·
Registered
257 Posts
we have one for the Scout 800's, but I think they were all V8 models. Got a few pictures of your setup you can email to me at [email protected]?
Sparky:

I e-mailed a picture of the engine and its relationship to the stock bulkhead opening in my 80. Let me know what pictures and dimensions you want and I'll get them.

Thanks

Pete

1 - 20 of 37 Posts