Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right, I asked about this a while ago and put off doing anything about it, so now I am up shit creek.

My cab mount in the rear passenger side of my Xtra cab let go. It has cancer bad. Cab sitting on Frame in the rear etc…

The weird thing is, the rest of the cab is in decent shape rust-wise.

So – instead of finding a donor cab in the Salt Belt (read: Rust Belt) I talked to a welding jockey friend of mine.

He thinks we could just patch it all together with 3/16” plate and spray it with some rust inhibitor.

Well, I give two shits about what this thing looks like now, because the temporary fix was that I buy a new truck for a daily driver. Now I have a dedicated wheeling rig… and no funds for the moment to really do anything with it.

Has anyone ever just welded plates in there and called it done? Isn’t that kind of a tough place to weld plates to since there are body cavities and stuff there? I would think there wouldn't be a whole lot to weld to because of the thin sheet metal.

If anyone has done it, I don’t suppose you have pictures of the process, so I can see (and show said friend) what it looks like cut apart so we don’t have any surprises…

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions, or general ribbing from people living in the relatively rust-free west.

·
Lurking since 1956
10,417 Posts
Both fronts on my 82 were bad. I chipped of all the undercoating, ground out the rust, then pop rivited the plates on to hold them in place, then welded them. I drilled a new hole, put new bolts in then put undercoating on top and bottom. 3 years ago.

·
Premium Member
22,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is reassuring at least.

My main concern is the body contours there. The rust extends up the body for several inches.

The idea is that we cut out an eight-inch cube at the furthest corner on both sides and rebuild it with plate. This would include the inner and outer body panel and the floorboard... or at least the outer body panel and floorboard.

To me (a welding/fabrication novice at best) this seems like a difficult job to attach to body contours and keep structural integrity (throwing aesthetics completely out the window).

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
I have half of an 87 Xcab frame, I need to relocate my 4runner body monts to make the Xcab fit. If they aren't a PITA to remove with a grider, I'll grind 1 or 2 off the donor frame if that'd help ya out any?

·
Premium Member
22,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bones said:
I have half of an 87 Xcab frame, I need to relocate my 4runner body monts to make the Xcab fit. If they aren't a PITA to remove with a grider, I'll grind 1 or 2 off the donor frame if that'd help ya out any?
Actually, I don't know what kind of shape my actual body mounts are in...

The problem isn't the mounts per se, but the place where the mounts attach to the body... that corner of the cab is shot. The body mounts "should" be OK, at least most of the frame is in decent shape so I am hoping they will be.

I will be looking closer at it this week with my friend, so he can try and figure out how much and what thickness of steal to use... if the body mounts themselves look bad, I will definately keep you in mind. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I had a similar problem, same spot, but mine was on the frame:

Here's how I fixed it:

How's that for ******* frame repair? :D

Geez, I miss that truck... :(

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
KLF said:
I had a similar problem, same spot, but mine was on the frame:

How's that for ******* frame repair? :D

Geez, I miss that truck... :(
Watch out for termites!!!!!! Why didn't you just make a new mount out of angle iron?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
It is a great time to make mounting plates for a roll cage. What I did when my body lift punched though the floor is use a hole saw to cut the open the floor bigger, welded 3/16"x 4"squares over the body mount holes,welding hot enough to penatrate both layers of sheetmetal around the mount area. I then cut off the original frame mounts (I wanted to get rid of the front cab mounts for tire clearence anyway), and connected the plates to the frame with tubing. I then mounted my roll cage to the plates.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
OOP'S said:
Watch out for termites!!!!!! Why didn't you just make a new mount out of angle iron?:rolleyes:
Well, it's hard to tell from that pic, but the rest of the frame was just about as bad. I just got tired of fixing it, it was a lost cause. Every time I would touch the MIG gun to the frame, it would just blow a hole thru. I think I took that pic in Nov 2001, and by May 2002, the frame looked like this:

:( :( :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts