Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that guys use caps for sterios all the time, is it possible to use one for a winch, or do they pull too much amparage? will it work?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm so they are more like a surge protector?

i thought a 1 farrad cap would store and supply power instead of totally killing your batt....:confused:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Capacitors store DC. Small ones are normally used to filter out AC. Capacitors also will supply a large amount(relative to the capacitor) of current and will discharge very rapidly. A physics teacher in college disintegrated an 8 guage wire with a capacitor.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Shaker said:
:eek: BACK AWAY.....AGAIN I SAY DON'T DRINK THE BONG WATER.......:D

A winch would kill the CAP 5 seconds after you hit the switch on the winch.....

5??? try 0.00000000000000 1seconds!!

winches are dc right? the reason I ask is that a cap will block dc completely
When used in series it will block dc and pass ac at the circuits resonant frequency

Capacitors store DC. Small ones are normally used to filter out AC.
When placed across a circuit (positive to Gnd.) they do filter noise from the line.
Very large caps like 1 farad and larger are similar to an extra battery with extremely high capacity and no reserve. They can provide the additional current needed when a large bass note hits or some similar high current , low duration surge occurs. They will provide the extra needed current and discharge extremely quickly, and recharge when the high demand is past.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Capacitors won't work on DC at all. you have to have to alternating currents to have a capacitor work. Hence the alternating part AC

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Well I was pissy and foul and did try and delete that since after I thought about I then could think a way it was used. but it didnt delete. So Yes I can concede that it will work but not in the above application

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
yep, time for some of you guys to read up on Basic Electricity and Electronics. I used to work on 450KVA, 400hz freq converters aboard Navy cruisers. Those bad boys had DC cap banks +350vdc and -350vdc and provide 1600 amp continuously, charged from some serious SCR freon cooled rectifiers. Trust me, those DC cap banks could blow up about 5000 wieners at once.:eek:

·
Registered
429 Posts

that's the result of hooking up some capacitors to dc power source and a coil of copper..
rad eh?

they've actually made them so small they go spherical (not to mention spitting the guts out of the quarter because the metal gets so hot)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
:laughing: The confusions and misunderstandings of some of your guy's electronics knowlage cracks me up :flipoff2:

No the cap wont help worth sheat, different caps do different things, assuming you mean a large car audio amplifier type, NO, it wont help :flipoff2: NICE TRY THOUGH :D

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cool pics, i'm going with 2 batts in parallel each putting out 800CCA
i was just curious about the diff between power a sterio pulles vs. a winch...

·
Registered
429 Posts
a powerful amp's current draw will usually be in peaks and valleys.. the capacitor helps provide amperage to the peaks without straining the battery/alternator as much.

a winch uses a steady HEAVY current draw.. and a capacitor would be basicly useless in this situation. (not to mention probably blow it up)

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Keith said:
yep, time for some of you guys to read up on Basic Electricity and Electronics. I used to work on 450KVA, 400hz freq converters aboard Navy cruisers. Those bad boys had DC cap banks +350vdc and -350vdc and provide 1600 amp continuously, charged from some serious SCR freon cooled rectifiers. Trust me, those DC cap banks could blow up about 5000 wieners at once.:eek:
COOL!

A few years back I worked with some of the ISAD (integrated starter alternator damper) system guys. Test drove a little Ford fitted with a 50 hp diesel (in germany). Fun part was a bank of little capacitors that gave a 70 hp boost for up to 60 seconds. So suddenly I had a 120 hp with tons of torque Ford... fun to pass a BMW as I hit the Autobahn (hey, just enough power to get up to 130kph --75 mph--)!

Other neat thing about the starter part. Kill the engine at a red light. Leave in nuetral. Press in the clutch, system would spin that motor up to 700 rpm in 100 mS (1/10th of a second). Way too cool!

Yes, the electrical storage was to plates with a whole mess of 1F capacitors between them! (do the math... 70 hp x 746W/hp... )

A buddy was talking about "not trusting hybrid technology... too new". Obviously he was never aboard a diesel SUB! Hint they are battery powered! :D

For you TECH's... ever hook up a big electrolytic backwards... building a ATE test box, my tech hooked it up backwards. Pulsed 20Amps @ 80Volts across it ONCE... loud POP and EVERYTHING in that box was covered with aluminum! Actually pretty cool! :p

Tom :usa:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts