Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Sharp said:
cool pics, i'm going with 2 batts in parallel each putting out 800CCA
i was just curious about the diff between power a sterio pulles vs. a winch...
Make sure BOTH batteries are the same mfg & ideally same date code. We do a whole bunch of parrallel/series strings for electric vehicle.... If you use something like the Optima YELLOW top you really do not need dual batteries. I know, duals are really cool and show you are a series off roader... but you can use just one. :)

On SOME DC motor's you'll see a little cap across the terminals. As the motors spin the do generate AC noise (arcing terminals). Not really needed for a winch, but tune to a weak AM radio station, then start the winch... you'll get an idea of the electrical noise.

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
about the only reason ive ever used a cap offroad was on my cb... both for noise rejection, and as suplimental power.. got to love being the loudest guy out there!

·
Registered
429 Posts
it's still a quarter!.. and not (completely) destroyed.. heh..

and T1H5_TA3, what were the specs on the cap you used for your CB? sounds interesting..
Justin

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
roundrocktom said:

Make sure BOTH batteries are the same mfg & ideally same date code. We do a whole bunch of parrallel/series strings for electric vehicle.... If you use something like the Optima YELLOW top you really do not need dual batteries. I know, duals are really cool and show you are a series off roader... but you can use just one. :)

On SOME DC motor's you'll see a little cap across the terminals. As the motors spin the do generate AC noise (arcing terminals). Not really needed for a winch, but tune to a weak AM radio station, then start the winch... you'll get an idea of the electrical noise.

i'm gonna buy 2 at the same time, try to locate 2 with the same date code, i looked at running just a yellow top but one optima or interstate would be more expensive then the 2 Douglas batts i'm gonna run and each of these put out 800CCA.
i'm just going for what fits my wallet and will start me jeep in a hurry in the bloody occational -50*C we get here, i don't care what looks more hard core.;)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
oh, one more thing, what guage wire would i use to connect the 2 batts?
is 4 guage sufficient or do i want to use 1 guage? i'd rather go over kill then under.... :beer:

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Sharp said:
oh, one more thing, what guage wire would i use to connect the 2 batts?
is 4 guage sufficient or do i want to use 1 guage? i'd rather go over kill then under.... :beer:
2/0 "two-ought" welding cable. Fine strand copper. Very flexible.
Just spotted this guy on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2309932530 Watch out for shipping charges. :D

Check with the local battery shops about having a custom battery cable made up (you can get terminals with "T" tops... cable in, cable out). Shop should have the good crimper.

BEFORE you use that big 2/0 cable between the batteries... a length of 10 gauge should be used to CONNECT to two batteries in parallel to make sure they are the same voltage. As long as the batteries are both charged to the same level... wire should work fine. THEN attach the big old 2/0 cable. I had some yellow top 1400cca batteries... about 1.0 voltage difference when I hooked up cables.. DANG that terminal got hot quick! :)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks Tom, a local store has 2 guage pretty cheap, but connecting the 10 guage is a good piece of advice, i wouldn't have thought of,
i'm planning on just getting some ends and using my vice to crimp them(this should work right? or is there something special about a crimper?), i doubt i'll need the T terminals tho.
:beer:

·
Registered
893 Posts
"a powerful amp's current draw will usually be in peaks and valleys.. the capacitor helps provide amperage to the peaks without straining the battery/alternator as much.

a winch uses a steady HEAVY current draw.. and a capacitor would be basicly useless in this situation. (not to mention probably blow it up)"

exactly. my SPL car running 6 - Phoenix gold MS2250 TA 1000W 2CH Amplifiers (6000 watts) would draw well over 500 amps of current, however that was usually for an instantanious 'hit' of music. I had 6 - 1 farad capacitors wired into the power for the amps. this evened out the hits, and made each subsequent note hit as hard as the last, as capacitors discharge 100 times faster than a battery, but only for a fraction of a second.

a winch on the other hand draws sustained current. a capacitor would be utterly useless over long term sustained draw.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
T1H5_TA3 said:
about the only reason ive ever used a cap offroad was on my cb... both for noise rejection, and as suplimental power.. got to love being the loudest guy out there!

You're kidding right???:rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Only time I used a capacitor was to make a dangerous gag trick to play on some one I hated back at my old job.

Hey Dude somethings wrong with this Board can you take a look at it.

The idiot wouldn't take a close look but would put power to the board and blow the (soldered on backwards) cap.

I always loved doing that.

·
5,599 Posts
ikeaboy said:

that's the result of hooking up some capacitors to dc power source and a coil of copper..
rad eh?
Isnt that where you place the coin in the center of an inductor, and send a High voltage High frequency pulse acrossed the inductor. Since the phase of the magnetic field changes so fast the quarter dosent move and gets hot and ends up thicker but smaller dimater.

A DC pulse would just SHOOT that quarter out fo the inductor and not compress it like that...

I never tried it though.. did you?

I believe it would have to be a AC power source (really high frequency) not a DC source.

And the Cap wont help for the winch.

·
5,599 Posts
Aggro said:

1. When used in series it will block dc and pass ac at the circuits resonant frequency

2. Very large caps like 1 farad and larger can provide the additional current needed when a large bass note hits or some similar high current , low duration surge occurs.
1. Will attenuate lower frequencies. Resonent frequency?? what do you mean by that?

2. Caps only store charge, and do not create current.
:D

·
Registered
429 Posts
ashmanjeepXJ said:

Isnt that where you place the coin in the center of an inductor, and send a High voltage High frequency pulse acrossed the inductor. Since the phase of the magnetic field changes so fast the quarter dosent move and gets hot and ends up thicker but smaller dimater.

A DC pulse would just SHOOT that quarter out fo the inductor and not compress it like that...

I never tried it though.. did you?

I believe it would have to be a AC power source (really high frequency) not a DC source.

And the Cap wont help for the winch.
actually.. no.
they are using VERY large capacitors hooked up to (usually) neon sign power supplies to charge. (one setup i read about had 4 12kV capacitors each with a peak output of about 100,000 amps wired in series. all of this was switched by a trigitron. some people use 2 door knobs, one of which is on the end of a 6 foot wooden pole, to trigger the system)
they put the quarter between the ends of 2 dowels just larger than the quarter, zip tie them together holding the quarter in the middle, then wrap copper wire around the whole thing.
the electromagnetic pulse inside the coil is so strong it causes eddy currents inside the quarter that make it shrink in on itself. the copper wire literally VAPORIZES.

google "shinking quarters" or "shrunken quarters" if you want to know more.. its some damn interesting stuff.
up there with the guys that make turbine engines out of old turbochargers.

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
roundrocktom said:

A buddy was talking about "not trusting hybrid technology... too new". Obviously he was never aboard a diesel SUB! Hint they are battery powered! :D

Frieght trains!!!

Heck, if those big diesels actually were connected to the drive, it would take a helluva clutch to get them moving :D

But speaking of caps...and not to hijack...but how about using them for an on-board welder?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i think winches are dc right? the reason I ask is that a cap will block dc completely

Josh
Not sure how old this post is, however, that's not true in the least. It will push dc power which depletes quickly. And as previous users stated would be useless for his application. In essence you'd kill your battery alot quicker as the capacitor would essentially be a battery constantly draining your system.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts