Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...AND has installed a "stand alone" pump to handle the winch??

A friend of mine is looking at a mile marker type winch in front of his YJ, and has heard about people who have heard about installing a seperate pump to work the winch. Has anyone got writeups, Pix, etc??

Thanks, Tim.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
i am presently working on this as we speak :D
i will be running a subaru x6(i think x6) power steering pump to it. the subaru pump is small,12volt,and was dirt cheap as apposed to a dedicated 12v hydrualic pump :flipoff2:

i am contemplating running both my regular PS pump and the subaru pump to it. both pumps will have check valve on the pressure side going to a"Y" and then to the pump. they will both share a common resivour. this way if the engine is dead i can just switch on the pump and winch away.

or i will just say fawk it and just run the subaru pump :D

·
Registered
441 Posts
you guys ever run with someone that has a hydro winch? cause I got a good friend with a Milemarker, and that has got to be the slowest muthafawker made, I mean SUPER SLOW it's not worth the headache of having to run another pump setup just so you can steer too! just get a 12volt and run dual batteries.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Jayrockn7 said:
you guys ever run with someone that has a hydro winch? cause I got a good friend with a Milemarker, and that has got to be the slowest muthafawker made, I mean SUPER SLOW it's not worth the headache of having to run another pump setup just so you can steer too! just get a 12volt and run dual batteries.

Amen to that.......

You won't be winching fast enought to need to steer...

The big selling point is that they will pull all day long without overheating!!! which is important cause it takes all day to winch one vehicle!!

Under max load the speed might be comparable to an electric... but they don't get any faster for spooling the cable back in after use....

My buddy had one and sold it after 2 trips and bought a HS9500I -
Taking a $350 loss to get rid of it says alot !!!!

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
I have a friend with one, and he is going to be changing to an electric unit! It is just too damn slow! A lot of times when he has needed to winch, we would use one of ours, just to do it quickly and get moving again! But then again, on a long hard pull, it never has the overheat issue. Just some info for you....

·
Registered
766 Posts
From everything I have read it seems the only way to make a MM fast is to take out the electric solinoid and drill out the holes to give it better flow and then run a real (belt or PTO) driven hydrolic pump the has 13-15 GPM and ~2000psi. I havent done this yet ($$$ problems) but a dual belt with electric cluch running off of the engine is the way I will go. For me I dont run a winch as much for self recovery as I do to pull the other people I am with out. We also have large club events where we will park one person at the top of an obstical and have them winch people up that get stuck. This is where I see the MM being able to shine. Pull all day long and not overheat. Now I just need to money to get that pump.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Mile Marker provided a washer with a small hole, like 1/16" diameter, that blocks flow through the winch. This is to prevent over speeding when winching down an obstacle. Over speeding with a Milemarker, what a laugh!

Anyway, I suspect this washer has more to do with how the PS pump works than the winch. I think a real hydraulic pump and no washer will cure the speed problems.

I have a MM 10,500 hydraulic winch on my Tahoe, which is now retired from wheeling duties. I picked it because the only other winches that would fit behind the bumper were only rated for 8,000 lbs.

It was slow, and got slower as the PS pump aged until it could not hack a tough pull. My main complaint is the fixed speed, you can't drive or you get slack in the cable. So every pull is a winch only pull. Note higher speed won't cure this problem.

·
Registered
441 Posts
and for the overheating issue, the winch doesn't over heat but the the power steer fluid will heat up badly to the point where your steering is effected, NO SHIT- after a few long steep pulls, don't be surprised if your steering sucks. My friend went thru 2 AGR power steering pumps and the stock gear box, the winching just boils the fluid after awhile, it's gotten to the point if he has to winch alot on one trip when he gets home he has to change all the fluid again:mad: nope sorry I'll stick to a Warn.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Mile Markers web site list their line pulls and they seem inline with the warn XD9000i. Is their website wrong or do you need a higher rated pump to acheive the listed line speeds?

·
Registered
766 Posts
1RUSTYRIG said:
Mile Markers web site list their line pulls and they seem inline with the warn XD9000i. Is their website wrong or do you need a higher rated pump to acheive the listed line speeds?
you need a higher rated pump to acheive the listed line speeds?

I think that about sums it up. The potential is there just need some more money thrown at it.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Jayrockn7 said:
and for the overheating issue, the winch doesn't over heat but the the power steer fluid will heat up badly to the point where your steering is effected, NO SHIT- after a few long steep pulls, don't be surprised if your steering sucks. My friend went thru 2 AGR power steering pumps and the stock gear box, the winching just boils the fluid after awhile, it's gotten to the point if he has to winch alot on one trip when he gets home he has to change all the fluid again:mad: nope sorry I'll stick to a Warn.

Has your friend ever heard of a power steering fluid cooler? Apparently he needs one, or a bigger one if he already has one.
I have a cooler on my stock pump and have never had a problem since.

·
Registered
16,673 Posts
And MM will always, ALWAYS blame some other component in the system if there are any failures.

Dedicated PTO and a cooler seem appropriate.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
ukjeeper said:
...AND has installed a "stand alone" pump to handle the winch??

A friend of mine is looking at a mile marker type winch in front of his YJ, and has heard about people who have heard about installing a seperate pump to work the winch. Has anyone got writeups, Pix, etc??

Thanks, Tim.
I have, no pics/writeups though both myself and others have been using pto powerd pumps - check out these two threads:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96868

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74937

Edit: If I was to do it again I would save money by just buying a hydro winch and assemble my own control system. Milemarkers solenoid and adapter kits are a waste of $$$.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Get a TWIN 8274-50

Weld the the two 8274 together with 24v motors and you will see!!! that is quick winching !!!!

Eduardo

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
sorry for the late responce,forgot about this thread :flipoff2:

i got the pump off of e-bay, but there are still a few at junk yards.

See i am confused with the whole "slow" milemarker thing. I have had mine for a few years and it always seemed fine to me. :D power steering cooler is required,dont know why you wouldnt have one. Mine is a 10,500 but it is a military model so the insides might be diffrent.
it still the best winch i have never bought :flipoff2: so anything i do to make it faster realy isnt a waiste of cash. :p

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I've heard of electric/hydrolic plow packs being used with MM's, as a backup, for when engine is off.
Not sure if you could just use the plow pack full time.

If you want a stand alone engine driven pump, an older hydrolic plow pump would also be worth checking out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts