Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUst got rid of my gooseneck and got a Reese 30054 32k 5th hitch
an A kaufman 4 car hauler and saw a guy down the street with plastic ring that goes between hitch and trailer Any one try these

Pros and cons

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Pro - quiets the hitch, prevents the need to grease king-pin and the hitch-head.....

Cons - maybe I'm toooo stewpid, but I couldn't figure out how to make it "stay" on the king-pin while I got lined up and backed up to the hitch-head. It would always fall to the ground as soon as I walked away... Also, some hitch/kingpin combinations have such tight tolerances that the 3/8" thickness of the "ring" makes a difference. It did on mine and the hitch sometimes didn't want to lock when hooking up on unleveled surfaces.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Mine stays in place well enough to hookup. Mucho better then grease.

·
1962 YellowSubmarine
11,423 Posts
mine stays in place while the trailer is in storage.. been hanging out for like 2 months now and it was still there yesterday.. maybe your pin ins worn? or your disc is the wrong size? does it have all the "fingers" still on it?

:usa:

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
mine stays in place while the trailer is in storage.. been hanging out for like 2 months now and it was still there yesterday.. maybe your pin ins worn? or your disc is the wrong size? does it have all the "fingers" still on it?

:usa:
I had to buy their largest one. My hitch is the 18k signature series and it has a wide head on it.

For a while it fit snug and would stay while I got hooked up.. But over time I guess it wallowed out just enough that it wouldn't hold on to the pin long enough for me to get hooked up. All the "fingers" where in place and everything. I guess I could have gotten a defective one... I really liked it when I used it.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
put a small dab of grease on the bottom or some tape, just long enough to hold it in place. a buddy of mine runs them on his hot shot truck and they are ok. says they break alot, but still better than greasing a fifth wheel constantly..

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
so if he hooks up a fifth wheel car hauler and hauls cars all day for a living they should break?? What if someone was towing an RV full time and living out of it or towing a promotional trailer travelling around the country for their business??

i think your logic is flawed man..

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
so if he hooks up a fifth wheel car hauler and hauls cars all day for a living they should break?? What if someone was towing an RV full time and living out of it or towing a promotional trailer travelling around the country for their business??

i think your logic is flawed man..
Nope... not flawed at all. The more miles the disc sees, the more often they will break. I've seen discs go 10 months, and I've seen them go 10 years. Depends on what they are made of too. There are plastic discs, and there are teflon discs. Teflon lasts longer.

And fulltime rv'ers don't travel everyday. They sit for weeks at a time before they move on.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought one today after my first run with my new to me 4 car Kaufmann didn't lube enough and it made a hell of noise !!
Just put it on like an hour ago will tow tommorow see how it does bought 2 one for a spare

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
i recently bought a 5th wheel frame to make my "toyhauler" out of and its got some kind of plastic thing on it. ive only towed the frame a few time but i like the idea of not having to grease it. u guys have got me wondering how it stays on there,im gonna have to go out and check it out :)

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Pics or link?
I am a gooseneck guy, so anything I can learn about 5th wheels the better.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been running a 3 car 48' gooseneck 3 car hauler just got a 4 car and had to go 5th wheel .The back and forth sway is gone with the 5th so far that is better ,but you have a monster hitch in the way !

here is the trailer I'm hauling

Attachments

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
I've been running a 3 car 48' gooseneck 3 car hauler just got a 4 car and had to go 5th wheel .The back and forth sway is gone with the 5th so far that is better ,but you have a monster hitch in the way !

here is the trailer I'm hauling
How long does the rear window last in your tow rig?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
does that trailer slide apart in order to accomodate 4 cars? or hydraulics lift and hold the sides up and you put a car underneath? i keep lookin at it and trying to figure it out,but im not sure from the pics. :confused:

i have a 25000 lb super 5 hitch in my truck,id like to get a king pin adapter for the coupler in my GN. i really like the ease of hookin up the 5th wheels :grinpimp:

on the plastic thingy,mine actually has some screws counter-sunk into the plastic to keep it on. is this not normal?

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
does that trailer slide apart in order to accomodate 4 cars? or hydraulics lift and hold the sides up and you put a car underneath? i keep lookin at it and trying to figure it out,but im not sure from the pics. :confused:

i have a 25000 lb super 5 hitch in my truck,id like to get a king pin adapter for the coupler in my GN. i really like the ease of hookin up the 5th wheels :grinpimp:

on the plastic thingy,mine actually has some screws counter-sunk into the plastic to keep it on. is this not normal?
The trailer basically you drive 2 on top then hydraulics lift the rear car and then drive 2 on the lower area .

As for the kingpin adapter you can change the the slide in 4" coupler that the GS is and put a kingpin

the friction some a bolt on or slip onn you just got to watch that the disc doesn't wear into hitch

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,984 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts