Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I have seen are DRW trucks, are there singles available? I guess a person could run the adapters, plus spacers and dually wheels - but that would look not-so-hot IMHO.

Anyone?

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a 2002+ dodge running around the Nashville area on what looks like some kind of custom steel rims running military Michelins I think? So I'd guess they are 20's? They look like solid plate centers to me, color matched (white) to the truck color... Looks kinda ok, kinda gaudy.

Anyway, I guess that is another option...

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
There's a srw Dodge Megacab around town that has 22.5 dually fronts at all 4 corners.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Way cant you just run front all the way around. There a company that make custom alloy 19.5 and 20's and 22's for the tow rigs motorhomes. That you can buy. One of there add's had a single wheel truck with them on it. With low pofile tires.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Vision 81's (19.5) are $227 from Rickson. 245/70R19.5 (33") in a traction-tread are under $250 each. (And can be had in a 4800# rating)

That's under $1k for a full set. That's a good deal in my book... what are the 22.5 adapters gonna cost? :eek:

·
Premium Member
19,779 Posts
I was told there are some old Bread trucks, or UPS/Fedex trucks that were SRW and running 19.5 or 22.5's.
If you can find one in the junk yard it would be a great source for those SRW rims.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I was told there are some old Bread trucks, or UPS/Fedex trucks that were SRW and running 19.5 or 22.5's.
If you can find one in the junk yard it would be a great source for those SRW rims.
mostly fed ex with 19.5's. they are gonna be steel wheeled though.
all the bread trucks ive ever seen and worked on are duallys and ususally running 16's if a light duty ford chassis, or chevy, and the heavier chevy chassis all run dually 19.5's.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
I have seen the SRW 19.5s on local UPS vans (GM's P30HD with I-beam front, D70 rear, and a narrow step van body).

The wheels are not a factory item. They are something UPS, or the van mfr. (Workhorse?) specially upfitted their vehicles with. There used to be a blurb on the Rickson website that these UPS wheels were the inspiration for starting their business.

UPS vans don't end up in wrecking yards around here. Their parts don't how up either. My guess is they are sold off under disposal contracts and crushed. The wheels show up with whomever does UPS's tire service. Occasionally, you can find one of these tire shops that has some surplus, but that is a rarity.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Vision 81's (19.5) are $227 from Rickson. 245/70R19.5 (33") in a traction-tread are under $250 each. (And can be had in a 4800# rating)

That's under $1k for a full set. That's a good deal in my book... what are the 22.5 adapters gonna cost? :eek:

I shouldn't pick on you since we're both CDN, however, you might want to look at your math again. Vision 81's and tires is a 2K deal. Trust me, I'm considering these right now but would like to go to a 285/70.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
I shouldn't pick on you since we're both CDN, however, you might want to look at your math again. Vision 81's and tires is a 2K deal. Trust me, I'm considering these right now but would like to go to a 285/70.
Sorry - my bad. I only bought 2 wheels and tires for my 2wd. :emb2:

Freight was ~$50/wheel to the border where I picked them up. Even at a total cost of $275/each, Les Schwab (Sumas) wanted more, and Wheels West (Langley) wanted more again.

I bought tires locally. 225s and 245s mainstream, and are much cheaper than the 8R, 265 and 285 sizes. $239 each (unmounted) for the 245/70R19.5 H-rated (4800#) tractions at Abbsry Tire in Abbotsford.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts

I know the LRH 285/70R19.5 I was running on the welding truck had a higher weight capacity by ~1K/tyre than a LRH 255/70R22.5 as well (6395# Single/6005# Dual compared to 5510# Single/5070# Dual for the 22.5"). The weight capacity argument for 19.5" compared to 22.5" is a moot point anyhow when talking about 1 ton trucks as the weight capacity of either choice is going to far exceed the GAWR of any 1 ton truck.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmmm.... maybe I'm looking at this form the wrong direction. Maybe what I need are some stock 22.5 steel rim shells, and custom plate centers.

I wonder if Stazworks would be up for making some pressed plate centers? (especially since USA6x6 is out of the game).

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Steel 22.5s weigh a ton, however I imagine a lot of that is in the center. I think you'd loose all your teeth the first time you hit a good pothole though running a 2nd gen Dodge with that stiff of a tire (especially since it sounds like you want to keep them fairly low profile).

Pete

1 - 20 of 51 Posts