Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my 93 XJ, the motor has ALOT of mile on it and will sooner than later fail. Yeah, I can get a 4.2 short block, have the head redone and put the 4.0 head/oil pan/accessories on the 4.2 short block. BUT, I will most likely need another AW4 tranny/t-case (or have them rebuilt). Then, while sitting wondering about a few other swap ideas, I thought of this:

I have a 300 I6/4.9L fuely with around 11k on it (with all the wiring and it had a manual behind it). Why not try to shove that monster in there??

I know the biggest hurdle I can think of is the insanely huge intake :eek: and MIGHT require a modified hood (as long as it would be of legal height). The oil pan can be "made to fit" as can 99% of the other stuff. BUT, I just want to read other peoples issues they had during the swap to see if it would be worth the effort to do this. OR, just do the 4.2 thing when the time comes? OR, shove in a yard motor/tranny/t-case in it (cheapest bet)??

As for tranny/t-case setup, I would probably say 700R4 (yeah, I know more $$$) and a D20 (more $$) or re-clocked D300 (which I have as well).

BTW, anyone want to fund just ONE of my ideas???

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
If that 300 is any longer than a 4.0L (and I think it is), you will have a tough time fitting it. That 4.0L is a pretty snug fit lengthwise already.

I'd sell the thing, and do a V8, or stroker swap if you really want to put something else in there.

I don't really understand the (Ford) D20 swap either, unless you just happen to have one.

Fitting a Ford engine, to a GM tranny, back to a Ford T-case is too much adapter money for me, for very little gain.

·
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
3,815 Posts
dude, get off of the crack. The 300 was a great engine, great torque down low, tough as nails, and made 150 HP (at least the quick search i did)

its also way heavy, way long, kinda wide, and generaly a truck engine.

Even if you could fit it in there with a scoop hood, grill extension, modified firewall, etc, you would have a bigger, heavier engine that made less power.

Seems like a big waste of time and money to me, even if the engine and tranny were free.

Keep the engine though, and put it where it belongs... in a 150 :)

um, why are you going 700r4? for the stroker? I have heard of no problems with the aw4, and it is a bolt in. The aw4 holds up to superchargers, as long as you arnt totally stupid.

and a d20????? when you have a d300? last time i checked, the d300 was a better case. Again, whats wrong with the 231? It fits well, and there are tons of aftermarket mods for it, should be fine unless you are going to much bigger tires.

I have a Cherokee with a 4.0 and an aw4 and a CJ with a 4.0 and a t5, and i am very happy with both.

If I were going to continue to use your vehicle as a high mileage vehicle, i would go with the 4.0 and maybe a fresher aw4 for realibility. If it is not a DD, you can have fun with the stroker, for alot more money.

but, for the love of your Jeep, drop the 300 idea...

·
Registered
469 Posts
youd be the only one on the block... but im sure someone would trade you that low miles 300, for a 302. the 4.0 is sorta shoehorned in already - and that 300 is truely a BEAST of an engine... have you taken time to compare it? it was alot bigger and heavier than what it may be worth - but ill say my experience with it - its even tougher than a 258. (all while running smoothly)

but id look into a v8 mainly b/c of size issues... the 300 is a great motor for something more its size.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The only thing wrong with a 231 is that its chain driven.. and i speak from experience that IT SUCKS when the chain breaks....

another thought,, by the time you have the d300 .. do a flip kit and a 4:1 on it.. you're real friggin close to an altas price wise....

i'd do a chevy or ford v-8... i love mine even tho its a bitch to get headers to fit right.. but whatever....

·
Registered
134 Posts
:cool:

It would be a tight fit, oh ya that's been said.

How about do a Ford 5.0L swap instead.

The Ford 5.0 is lighter and shorter than the original 258 and a Chebby V-8 too.

Luck,

·
Registered
130 Posts
stroke the 4.0 rebuild the tranny and swap a dana 300 in there. when you can twin stick it for just bout nothing and get the flip kit and call it a day. why do you think the trans is bad? if it is acting fine and the oil isn't burnt rock it man.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts