Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck just got finished. I just also found that my driver side rear axle oil seal is bad. My 4x4 shop is trying to talk me into switching from a spool to a detroit in the rear while I have the axles out and oil drained to change the seals.

One of the guys said I should put my spool in the front and take my detroit from the front and put it in the rear. I do have longs in and I dont personally think a spool in the front is a good idea.

Gimme some thoughts on this please because I am almost ready to change the oil seals.

Thanks guyz.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,625 Posts
Why the heck would he tell you to do that?? What is his reasoing??? I switched from a spool to a detroit because I couldn't get a gearset to last 6 months between the pavement and my driving style, the spool was literally eating gears. I got tired of it and got a detroit at a killer deal. I hate the way the detroit drives compared to the spool, but It's worth it to not have to replace gears every couple months, and it is saving on tire wear. I run an ARB front and Let me tell you, it is very nice to be able to trun it off. I would not want a spooled front end all of the time.
 

·
Wicked Raciest !
Joined
·
17,737 Posts
I would not want any kind of "full time locker" in the front!! I have a friend that has a spool in the front and most of the time he is driving with one hub un-locked.:D

Why are you draining the oil to change the seals? Unless it is contained, there is no reason to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OOP'S said:
Why are you draining the oil to change the seals? Unless it is contained, there is no reason to.
Well, I need to change both the oil seals in the rear axle. To do that, I need to pull the axles out. Most of the oil will pour out if I dont. Am I just a dumb ass here?? I need to drain the gear oil out anyway to refresh it after my new gear break in period.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wilson said:
Why the heck would he tell you to do that?? What is his reasoing??? I switched from a spool to a detroit because I couldn't get a gearset to last 6 months between the pavement and my driving style, the spool was literally eating gears. I got tired of it and got a detroit at a killer deal. I hate the way the detroit drives compared to the spool, but It's worth it to not have to replace gears every couple months, and it is saving on tire wear. I run an ARB front and Let me tell you, it is very nice to be able to trun it off. I would not want a spooled front end all of the time.
I dont know why he would tell me to do that, I am still learning what a spool is like but I havent complained about it or anything. I knew that a spool in the front would be fucked but I thought I would ask just in case he knew something I didnt. The only reason I think he would tell me something like that is that it is my DD as well as trail rig but other than that, I dont know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
I went from a spool to a detroit, the first one I have had and the last. There is so much slop in the drivetrain it pisses me of everytime I shift or let of the gas. It sounds like something is breaking everytime.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,988 Posts
I switched to a spool in back from a Detroit because of the quirks the Detroit has on the street, especially the sudden changes in direction when you accelerate. The only other thing than a spool/welded carrier I would put in back again would be a selectable (ARB, Elec, etc.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,646 Posts
I've had and EZ, then a Detroit. The Detroit was an improvement, but still anoying on road. Going spool this time around. It's not a DD anymore, but will still get driven to the trails.

Tell your shop to shut their trap :D Also, change the seals yourself my man :flipoff2: No need to drain the oil, just jack up one side at a time. It's a good idea to change the fluids anyway though with new gears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,383 Posts
You don't want a spool or welded front end up front if it's a daily driver and you ever need to use 4wd on the road (snow, ice, etc.) You can turn a school bus around quicker than that thing. Offroad use only, it's not bad as long as you have hydro assist steering. I would never put a Detroit up front if you have Longfields and any gear reduction. Just asking for the ineviatable pop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
Detroit can be scary on the street(in the rear) on some trucks. If you don't have a problem with the spool, don't mess with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,646 Posts
TK said:
Detroit can be scary on the street(in the rear) on some trucks. If you don't have a problem with the spool, don't mess with it.
:confused: Never had a single problem with mine. Just annoying around corners, etc.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,333 Posts
i hate the slop and banging in corners between gears etc...

now having said that, what locker did i put in my buggy?

detroit's :( couldn't afford ARB's and got a smokin deal on teh detroits...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bones said:
:D Also, change the seals yourself my man :flipoff2: No need to drain the oil, just jack up one side at a time. It's a good idea to change the fluids anyway though with new gears.
Yeah, I was planning on doing the rear seals myself. I can handle the pussy work :D. The only reason I brought up the 4x4 shop is because of the spool/detroit issue.

If I didnt need to change fluid anyway due to the new gear break in, then I would have only jacked up one side at a time.

Thanks for the feedback on this. I pretty much had my mind made up before I posted to keep my spooled rear but a little help from the PBB never hurts.

Aaron
 

·
Wicked Raciest !
Joined
·
17,737 Posts
FatA$$ Toyota said:


Well, I need to change both the oil seals in the rear axle. To do that, I need to pull the axles out. Most of the oil will pour out if I dont. Am I just a dumb ass here?? I need to drain the gear oil out anyway to refresh it after my new gear break in period.
Well now it makes sense, If it was just to change the seals, just do them one side at a time.:D
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top