Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
rudezuk ran one on his comp buggy til he bailed on the Zuki crowd :shaking: You can find him over in bugy land now :D

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
That is trail toughs product,, no need to even ask Brent makes great products.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i'd like to see some pics of this installed to check where the stick lever ends up in the trans tunnel. does it come with a lever or do you have to build a custom one?

also is anyone running a cnc cutting brake in the rear?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
driveshaft disconnect

I have one installed in my 87 tin top. I use it for flat towing so I don't have to unbolt the driveshaft. The lever is included with the kit and sticks through the tunnel just to the right of the base of the hand brake about 4 inches high. The throw is about 4 inches and I have had no problems with it as a DD or off road. I also removed the steering wheel lock so I don't have to leave the ign. turned on to tow. It is a little pricey and mine didn't have much in the way of instructions so I had to call a couple of times to get the install sequence right. I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
I have two. The lever is hardly noticable between the seats. In the street sami, we put a velcro strap back to the pass side seat belt to keep it locked up. I have never had a problem with that but the girlfriend sets her purse gbetween the seats, and I guess she dissengages it. With the hybrid front axle in her truck, I have broke 2 hubs doing front digs, once on dry pavement bouncing off the revlimiter, once in the yard moving a cruiser. No problems off road in the dirt.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Moto261 also ran one for awhile in comp and play, seemed to hold up well to his abuse. I'm pretty sure he posted pics of his, or that might have been Shane that posted the pics. Try searching for them or PM'ing those two.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Trailtough from the other thread....

Trail Tough said:
.....the Remco version for a Samurai is approximately a foot long and clamps onto the 3rd member with a U-bolt and requires a custom driveshaft. It disconnects the driveshaft in the center and is designed for towing purposes and would not hold up for any kind of off-road use. Obviously, that is NOT what we have created here. Our unit is compact and is about 2 1/2" in overall length and simply replaces the transfer cases rear flange and can be used with the existing unmodified driveshaft. It is a great alternative for the Samurai owner which can take advantage of the benefits of all of the various new t-case gearing options AND have the ability to burn-turn, just like the guys with the Atlas cases - which have fewer gearing options! I have been competing with mine for over a year in the Crustacean and Joel McClure has been competing in CalRocs, UROC, ProRock, and ARCA with his. And for the guy that thought that perhaps an ARB with cutting or individual locking brakes would provide this kind of function, it just doesn't work. The vehicle will simply drag the locked wheel! Our rear driveshaft disconnect works for not only burn-turning but it is also alot cleaner than the Remco unit for the guys who just want to flat-tow.

BTW - we also plan to make one of these for you Toyota guys!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Shrock said:
...And for the guy that thought that perhaps an ARB with cutting or individual locking brakes would provide this kind of function, it just doesn't work. The vehicle will simply drag the locked wheel! ....
i don't agree with this. if you have a selectable rear locker and the 2-low option in the t.case a cutting brake would be a better option imho.
this trail tough flange is a smart product but i think it is worth only if your locker cannot be disengaged or you need to flat-tow your zuk.
i am currently investigating a cheap option for front wheel drive only, lada niva t.case is twin stick, and seems could fit pretty easily in a zuk.
not sure about their availability in us though

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
yea i have ran it for over a year and beat the piss out of it no problems. im welded in the rear (yea it would work better to have a arb in the rear but it still works ) just got to know how to use it :) and i use a cheep summit ele. line lock for the breakes in the rear. here is a pix of it k

:massey:

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
hey moto,
do you have to stop the car completely to connect/disconnect the flange, or can you also operate it while (slowly) moving?
ever tried to use it in the mud?

·
Registered
97 Posts
3D-RACING said:
Lada Niva has fulltime transfer like a 203.
eerrrr....yes, lada niva is permanent 4x4.
but it has a t.case with two sticks, so you can call it a "twin stick" either :)
use the first to switch from 4high to 4low, the second locks the t.case (like rovers t.case).
if you select 4low, leave the t.case open and pull the handbrake, you can do decent burn turn.
this is a very common modification used in french trial 4x4 vehicles, and is allowed in the eurotrial modified class, not sure about the cutting brake

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if you select 4low, leave the t.case open and pull the handbrake, you can do decent burn turn.
this is a very common modification used in french trial 4x4 vehicles, and is allowed in the eurotrial modified class, not sure about the cutting brake.
In Modified class there are many restrictions on the transfer type and use.
But in ProModified its free.

2004 rules/Modified
3.6.3.1 Manual gearbox - differential
The axle ratio, the prop-shafts, the complete gearbox and transfer case are free of will. The axles can be changed but must be of the same type as the original axles (e.g. Straight axles, Portal axles) The use of the differential locks is free of will for the front axle, the rear axle, and/or the transfer case. The disengagement of the power transmission of individual wheels or drive axles is not permitted, unless it corresponds to the series. The drive system (permanent or disconnectible) may not be changed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
3D-RACING said:
In Modified class there are many restrictions on the transfer type and use.
But in ProModified its free.
oh well....
i'll build a promo then :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts