Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a JV trip at the end of March and plan on renting an RV from Cruise America. Has anyone towed with one before and if so, from whom have you rented? I know that they have a max towing capacity of 2,500lbs and my Jeep on a trailer probably comes closer to 7k.

Help me out here people. Here is the model I'm looking to rent:

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Ask SDCJ, he does that every year for TDS, doesn't use a trailer though.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Definetly big block and your o.k. except for $$$$$. I towed with the Ford V10 and it was all right. The chevy 8.1 would be safe.

The mileagle limits suck on rentals around me.

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
We bought our motorhome from them, tow with it on every trip, no problem;)

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems decent to me. @ $500 for the five days, including 500 miles. Round trip to JV is @ 500 miles. $130 for an additional 500 miles. So we're up to @ $630 for the rental.

I'm thinking 10 miles to the gallon so 100 gallons @ $2/gallon = $200 for the gs for the trip.

Add it all up and we're looking at $830 for the round trip. Divided by 6 people is $138 per person, or @ $275 per couple.

What do you think? Cheap? Expensive? I think its worth it :flipoff2:

·
Registered
188 Posts
that sounds cheaper than using a uhaul considering all the amenities that come with the motorhome. Do they all come with a receiver hitch?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Rentals don't usually allow you to tow and you will get fawked if you get into an accident.

Good luck on 10mpg. Towing you are probably looking at a lot less.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Most class C motorhomes have a 3000lb max tow rating, I have seen a couple that go to 5000lb.

Also, sleeping 6 adults in a class C can be done, but not comfortably.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I drive a 1985 27' Ford Class C 460 carbed C6 auto and pull my trailer/Cruiser behind it...last time on the scales I tipped at ~18,000# total weight. 70 mph down the highway, 7-8 mpg. Sleeps 4 very nicely, 6 if you must, big bath, AC, generator, fridge, freezer, etc. So far it's been to Tellico, Paragon, Attica, and this summer includes Slade and South Dakota. No complaints thus far, other than PO-caused repairs.

I've only gotten stuck with it once too...heh heh

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Rock Toy said:

What do you think? Cheap? Expensive? I think its worth it :flipoff2:
It will be worth it for sure, not a lot of pretty camping out on the lakebed. The ladies will elevate you to god like status just for providing them a toilet:D It will get cramped with 6 adults, but really the only time you'll all be in there is when it's time to pass out.

Definately need to see if the rental company will let you tow;)

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well honestly, I know that the rental company will let me tow up to 2,500 lbs with it. . . but the reason for this post is to find out if I can tow more. I don't plan on telling them I'll be towing 5k+.

Mustard Dog, which model did you buy from them? Did you install a different type of hitch or did you retain the existing hitch?

As for camping in JV, I've been there severel times in a tent without the wife and I KNOW that there is no way she would go if I didn't get an RV. I think it would make for a more pleasant trip for myself as well.....being able to shower after 8-10 hours in the desert must be nice :D

Any of the Benders plan on being at JV last weekend of March? The Sierra Rock Crawlers will be there for our Spring Trip.

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Rock Toy said:

Mustard Dog, which model did you buy from them? Did you install a different type of hitch or did you retain the existing hitch?

Any of the Benders plan on being at JV last weekend of March? The Sierra Rock Crawlers will be there for our Spring Trip.
We got a 24' with the Ford V10, does us pretty good. I kept the original hitch on it, everybody I've talked to said it will be fine.

One thing to think about on the showers, keep them short, and bring extra water. Those tanks are only like 40 gallons, and with six people it will go pretty fast.

I think we can get a trip going for that weekend;)

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Mustard Dog said:

I think we can get a trip going for that weekend;)
That makes 3 weekends in a row :D :D :D .

·
Registered
332 Posts
I tow 6500 lbs with my class c motorhome no problem. Just drive safe and check air pressure on all tires!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Captain Crunch said:
I tow 6500 lbs with my class c motorhome no problem. Just drive safe and check air pressure on all tires!
How big of a Class C? What kind of engine? I am kinda of interested picking up a second tow vehichle.....

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Last year for the Toy Jambo I rented a 30' V10 powered motorhome like the one in the pic from Cruiseamerica. The tow limit is 2500# according to them, but if I remember right it's rated for like 10k. Don't even tell them you're towing. I hooked up my 24' long trailer and heavy 4runner to it, close to if not over 6k. Ran from Phoenix to JV lakebed and back no problems with the air on. It was still cruising 40-45 going up the big hill, but they have wierd electronically controlled trannies in them. I made an adapter to go from the 4 prong flat to a seven prong round connector for my trailer so it would have lights. I didn't run my brakes and it stopped fine. The steering on them is kind of wierd too, feels like hydro steering a bus. Five people comfortably in the 30' one, you don't even have to get that stingy on the water rations. We had plenty left after 3 days, but we were trying to conserve so we didn't have to fill it in town. I think I shelled out probably $800 to rent it, gas it, dump it, etc. by the time all was said and done. I'd say go for it, I know it'll tow 6k easy with no brakes from experience. It didn't even bottom out anywhere on the road to the lakebed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts