Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
transmission/transfer case upgrades are forcing me to find a new way to power my bed mounted PTO winch.

im thinking of using a hydraulic motor,powered by a 2nd power steering pump.

anyone done it? what are the specs of the motor you used,and hows it work?

thanx-

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The required pressure may be adequate, but I really think that the GPM the Hyd motor needs will be WAY lacking. If it runs at all, it will be painfully slow:( Do you have room for a pump to mount to your Tcase PTO? then you can have the pump, motor, and tank which would kick ass, but add to vehicle weight and cost of the project. Can you reroute the PTO shaft thru a carrier bearing? On my front PTO winch I had to do that. It kinda goes like this: /*\ Ok, not THAT much of an angle, hope you get the idea.

WEPS

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanx for the response

the main reason i wanted to use an engine mounted pump would be to eliminate a tranny or transfer case mounted pto from the equasion.

im currently running a t18/spicer 18,and im very happy with the operation of the pto and winch(give me 4 winch speeds,plus a "power out"),but i keep breaking spicer 18s :mad: im currently on number 4 and it doesnt make snese to keep breaking them.

i will be temporarily running a d20. i had a d20 pto,but its output faced forward,amd it committed me to using the 2.03 low range. sure i could prolly find a d20 pto with a rear output,but im still left with the high low range,and the 20 may or may not hold up any better than the 18.

ill eventually be swapping in a 435/203/205 so it doesnt make much sense to have to track down a t18 or d20 pto,fab new shafts,etc.,that may only be in for the summer,then have to do it all again when i put in my doubler

id like to figure something out that could stay in place,regardless of the tranny/xfer used,and be easily adaptable to another engine.

if not an actual p/s pump,how about some other sort of hydraulic pump that i could make brackets for and use a belt on the enigne to spin?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Have you thought about using an electric motor? Maybe you could convert an electric winch motor to drive the PTO winch. I'm not sure if it's feasable but it might work.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
hyd. pumps are the hardest duty application for a PTO. I can almost guarantee that the the d20 pto is not rated to handle it. the idea is actually quite sound, but the actual PTO unit you will need to operate the pump is gonna cost a fortune.
talk to www.ptospecialties.com (I think that's it)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brennanw,i had considered that idea,but i have an electric winch i can move tothe rear if i need to(reciever mounted) so id like to stay with a pto/hydro setup for the advantages they have of being able to make long continuous pulls without having a cool down period.

sundowner, im on my way to work,so i dont have time to look at your link yet. ive looked thru surplus center catalogs,and hydraulic motors range inm price from $109 to $400+ :eek:

does a belt driven pump exist that can power a hydraulic motor?

thanx for the link,ill check it out later tonite :)

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here, but can't you just run the PTO off the tranny?

Pete

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Northern sells Hyd pumps with electronic clutches, also I have seen snowplow rigs that have hyd pumps on them at the boneyard.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
What kind of horsepower can a V-belt transmit???

About 5 hp, if not less. You sure you want to run your hydrowinch on a lawnmower motor?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think the TC pumps put out about 3.5 gpm. KC's about the same at 1300 psi max.(modified). Call baileys800-800-1810 They have small hyd. motors that will run on that flow but I can't remember the formula to convert that to hp. ask about greson#280-274
flows at 3gpm ,alum body,$145 max rpm is 5000! but I'll bet there is a trade off, more rpm less torque. anyway they will help

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanx for the links and responses. boy,4 pages on that pto/hydro winch thread! ill sort thru that later

pcorssmit,re-read the 2nd line of the 3rd post
:flipoff2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts