Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 169 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
I have an '05 Dodge Caravan that I use for a catering vehicle at my restaurant. The check eng. light came on last night on the way to a cater so on the way home I swung by the house and grabbed my dongle and turned Torque on. It had a P2097 code and gave me the definition of the code right on the screen. It was a fuel trim high post catalyst code, meaning the downstream O2 sensor was reading high. It also gives you options to Google that code directly from the software so I did. I was able to confirm my suspicion that it was either a bad downstream o2 or a bad catalytic converter. (The vehicle only has 40,000 miles on it and had no driveability issues so I had reason to doubt a bad converter.) But since this was the first time I've ever diagnosed a OBD2 vehicle I called my buddy to confirm my diagnosis with him. (He'a mechanic and does this stuff every day.)

He told me to use the software to graph the O2 sensor voltage readings, so I did. The upstream sensor was spiking from .7v to .2v, up and down, up and down. He said that is normal since it is upstream of the converter and that's how it should look. The downstream o2 was reading a fairly smooth 1.2v. He said this was obviously wrong because it should be reading .7v fairly smooth. The smoothness of the downstream sensor is a result of the converter smoothing the oxygen out. Right about the time that I told him that reading it fell down to around .2v and stayed there fairly smoothly. He said this was a clear sign of a bad o2.

Advance Auto had the o2 in stock for $25. To get at the o2 sensor you have to have the van on a lift so I drove by a Tuffy Lube that my restaurant shares a parking lot with and traded them lunch to change the sensor for me. They had it back to me in 30 minutes.

Just out of curiosity I hooked Torque up again tos ee what a good o2 sensor graph looks like. The upstream sensor remained the same as before but the downstream was very different looking. It was much smoother now and stayed at about .68v the entire time with no variances. It did spike down to .2v every once in a while briefly. My buddy told me that this is the ECU briefly spiking the fuel mixture to test the function of the o2 sensors. If the sensor spikes when the ECU spikes the fuel it knows the sensor is working properly. And sure enough, as soon as it spiked it the ck eng light went out on its own.

I've got about $40 total into this diagnostics setup and it is as powerful as many thousand dollar ones. The local Dodge dealership charges $100 to diagnose this issue, not including what it would have cost to fix it and not including all the time I would have spent shuttling the vehicle across town, which is a 30 minute drive each way. I would say that purchasing the app and buying the dongle have more than paid for themselves with just this one repair. Anything from here on I will just consider a bonus.

Plus, I learned something that I didn't know and will probably help me more in the future. Torque not only helped me diagnose the problem, but it linked me to diagnotic aids on the internet, allowed me to see what a bad o2 sensor reading looks like and subsequently allowed me to confirm my repair by showing me what a good reading looks like. I am very impressed.

J. J.

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Just for educational purposes, red would be what I saw with the bad sensor in, green after replacing with a good sensor. You can see the night and day difference.

J. J.

Attachments

·
Vendor
989 Posts
So who can I order a dongle from that will have it to me in 10 days or less? Any one company that seems to have their shipping act together?

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
There are tons of US vendors that are way more expensive than the Chinese ones. In fact, if you tap menu while in the app and then tap bluetooth device info, it will give you links to two of them. But for under $100 I wasn't able to find much other than the China ones which take a while to arrive simply due to shipping. That was a while back. Maybe someone on eBay has started stocking them in America?

J. J.

·
Vendor
989 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #127

·
thhhpptthh!
46,933 Posts
got a check engine light in my exploder so tried to scan at lunch today.

cannot pair with my dongle. 0000 and 1234 both get incorrect passkey errors.

any ideas?

edit: ok. got it paired. code was 6-7-8-9

but now i get "paired but not connected" wtf.. damn thing worked fine last time i used it.

edit2: ok done. had to go into torque/settings/ob2 adapter settings and select the paired device.

o2 sensor bank 2 no signal. reset codes. no more check engine light. :D

·
Registered
508 Posts
I got mine from this guy a month or 2 ago and received it 2 days after ordering. Thats the quickest I have every received something in the mail from ebay. I think I only paid $32 but it had some sale then I remember.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320685709664&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Figured I'd bump this up saying that this adapter worked great for me too. Only took a few days to recieve it and it paired up to my Galaxy S2 with no issues.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've decided after reading and watching the videos to order a dongle.

I'll keep the snap on obd2 reader at work from now on, will be nice to have back at camp workin on a buggy.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
which is the better way to go with the dongle, bluetooth or wireless?
seems to me the wireless I could look up on my LAN but not so much with bluetooth

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Is the new iPhone 4S capable of running an ap like this via Bluetooth?
Unfortunately not, someone would have to develop an iPhone specific OBD Bluetooth adapter with the special Apple authentication chip. The iPhone doesn't support most generic Bluetooth profiles (other than the phone/audio ones) so you can't pair any old Bluetooth device to it.

121 - 140 of 169 Posts