Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three rear packs, stock 88 Toy, lifted Explorer (AAL), and 63" Chevy.

I want to run the Chevy's, they just look like they will work well. Problem is, I have 44044s up front and the Chevy's don't have the lift to match.

So the plan is to run a 2" drop shackle mount (receiver tubing) and a 2" block. That should net me about the same 5-6" lift that the 44044s have up front if my searching is right. I can then fine tune it with the shackle. I'm not fond of the blocks though, is there a better way? Anyone have an AAL they like that could cut down on the blocks without killing flex? Part numbers would be really helpfull for the parts-monkeys. :D

Also, I plan to rotate the pinion to point at the transfer case. Can I cut the perches off with a torch on Toy axles or do I need to watch how much heat I use like the D44?

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
why not just run a long shackle and the AAL?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mobil1syn said:
why not just run a long shackle and the AAL?

No particular reason not to other than people saying it will reduce flex. I was looking for experiences/recomendations for specific parts, I figgure someone has real world info.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Why don't you make new spring perches for the axle that are taller, make them like the All Pro ones but just how ever tall you need them and then you don't have to run blocks or U-bolts just bolt them straight through the perches and spring plates. I used 5" square tube for mine to get the lift I needed out of my chevies.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I was just asking the same ...

I was just asking the same thing in another thread. So basicly its better to build the axle perch higher than to drop the shackle mount from the frame ? Ive got coils supsension on the front of my 92 four runner but its comming off to make way for the 4" waggys ive got and im doing the 63" chevys in the rear but need to add a bit. Im using 5.25 inch shackles and im gonna drop the shackle mount about 3.5 inches off the frame.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
I would personally drop the shackle hanger, as opposed to making the spring perch higher. Just make sure you weld them up good, and use some extra gusseting (over kill wouldn't hurt you in a case like this). Also, you can always take leaves out of the waggy's, to drop the front end down a bit. I personally don't care for blocks too much, so I would try to stay away from them if possible. Some guys run them with great success, but they aren't for me.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CHAD PEZZLE said:
Why don't you make new spring perches for the axle that are taller, make them like the All Pro ones but just how ever tall you need them and then you don't have to run blocks or U-bolts just bolt them straight through the perches and spring plates. I used 5" square tube for mine to get the lift I needed out of my chevies.

I don't trust that mounting style with my life after being abused on the trail. I still drive to and from the trail. There may be nothing wrong with it, but I preffer U-Bolts.

A taller perch is basicly the same as a block as far as the suspension is concerned, isn't it? I can see how it would be safer since you don't have to worry about spitting the block out though.

I found a 2" AAL kit locally for $50, so I think I'll run that and maybe a 2" block. That should get me close to the 44044s lift in the front.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Run a longer shackle no matter what your final setup, at least 6" eye to eye. Whats the specs on the Explorer springs? Some times it pays to be different.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NE-RokToy said:
Run a longer shackle no matter what your final setup, at least 6" eye to eye. Whats the specs on the Explorer springs? Some times it pays to be different.

Thanks for the heads up on the shackle length. I was thinking I'd need a long one as I don't want a double shackle setup. The Explorer springs are 2.5" wide and about 58" long, IIRC. They have an AAL, I think it's a 4" but it may be a 2".

I may toss them under there while I'm fawkin with it just to see how they look. My only real concern with them was that they may be on the stiff side since they are for the rear end of an Explorer which is a fair bit heaver than a pickup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts