Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not entirely new to Toyotas, but I'm new to Toyota trucks.

I'm picking up an 81 4x4 in a couple weeks, and I'm wondering how well the 20R engine behaves on the trail, and how easy it is to maintain and make run.

Last Toyota I owned was an 81 Tercel with the 3A (I know those engines all too well) before going back to my true love... Chevys.

The Toy is gonna be a DD and stock wheeler while I gut the IFS and 4.3 Oil Eater out of my S10 Blazer and drop in an SFA conversion and 350.

One last thing... how prone to grenading are birfields? Remember, I'm a Chevy man... GM don't use birfields :p

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
About the 20R, it should run like a top for years. Its a simple reliable engine. It dosen't produce much HP as you've probably already figured out.

If your rig is stock then you aren't going to have much troubles with your birfields.

;)

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I got 267,000 miles out of a 20r, without somuch as a head gasket changed! It was still running when I tore down the truck for parts. Its a great little motor. the carb is only 190 cfm and has a plunger type excellerater pump, not very responsive. You can run a weber 32/36 at 325cfm, header and mild cam and it'll wake it up.....................:( still not a exactly a power house though.

I never did break a stock birf. I ran a trutrack in the front with 4.88's and 35" tires. Went to Longfields when I put the locker in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts