Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the tall AP rear shock mounts as they were included in my extreme lift kit. Has anyone cut them down and used them to mount shocks like this / \ ?? If so I assume you put a brace between the two sides. I have about 2.5" of axle space to put shock mounts.

I thought about cutting them as shown on the attached picture and then bracing them on the outside of the mount knowing that the shock should never go past parrellel. (see arrow that designates moving the side support up) Would a brace on just the outside be sufficient? I fear not being able to do this on the inside without the shock hitting the reinforcement brace.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
trade it back to ap for the short ones?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kstomper said:
trade it back to ap for the short ones?
I probably would if I was somewhat close to them. I live in Iowa which is at least 5 days shipping from CA. I still haven't received my 1.5" spacers I that I ordered a week and a half ago. :(

Been working on this thing for too long! Time to get it done and go wheeling. :D

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
Side bracing is not required in my opinoin on shock mounts if you just mounting them on top of the axle. I just used a couple shocks tabs welded to the top of the housing.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4RnrRick said:
Side bracing is not required in my opinoin on shock mounts if you just mounting them on top of the axle. I just used a couple shocks tabs welded to the top of the housing.
Good to hear. :) I will weld both sides of the tab and place them as far out on the axle inside the leaf springs. Guess they would be pretty easy to redo if they should happen to bend.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Looks like you're making progress with that AP xtreme kit install. I finally have mine installed and on the road. Pretty impressed so far, but hey, I was running a Pro Crap lift kit before so what do I know.
I ended up mounting my rears in the stock location. Didn't think I'd be able to get a good weld on the crossbar for an / \ install with the body in place. I'll give it a shot sometime in the future when I'm bored.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cuatroxcuatro said:
Looks like you're making progress with that AP xtreme kit install. I finally have mine installed and on the road. Pretty impressed so far, but hey, I was running a Pro Crap lift kit before so what do I know.
I ended up mounting my rears in the stock location. Didn't think I'd be able to get a good weld on the crossbar for an / \ install with the body in place. I'll give it a shot sometime in the future when I'm bored.
Yes I have made some pretty good progress, but also had many delays like the one I am currently experiencing. I wasn't able to cut my rear shackle hangers off to reuse. I ordered new ones from Sky a week and a half ago. They didn't tell me they were out of stock until Friday. I am now having a fabricator in town make me some new ones.(paying a little more of course) You experienced the front shock tower mount problems. I still haven't addressed this problem as I am waiting to get the truck completely on the ground. (currently on front wheels)

So far I think the quality of the AP kit is good, however there are several things I think need changed or improved on. I plan to address this with AP and perhaps even post the problems I ran into for guys that purchase the kit down the road. The instructions are too vague in many areas. Jay admitted this a couple of times when I talked with him. Perhaps it will end up in the FAQ area. I am sure you could add things as well.

As for my rear shock mounts I am going to weld a 1.5" square tube between my frame for my upper shock mounts to get the shocks angled like this / \. I am very anxious to get out on the trails as this is my first real build up. I figure do it the way I want now and hopefully not end up redoing any of it. Hope to get driveshafts done early next week.

·
Registered
465 Posts
You're right about the instructions, definitely not for the novice.
I've mounted the front towers, used the sawzall on the fender wells.
Could have used another set of hands while positioning them but I got them done.
Will post pics when I find them.
I pulled the bottom leaf from the rear pack and replaced it with a longer load leaf, I've got a Downey aux fuel tank back there and plan on mounting a tire carrier so there's more weight than what I planned on when I bought the kit. The rear shackles should be forward a bit more to get proper angle.
I was going to order another set of rear hangers from Sky but now I think I'll wait and wheel it for a bit.
Front pinion angle came out acceptable, didn't rotate the knuckles, have dual cases so tha helped out quite a bit. Rear shaft has a front cv so no problems there.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cuatroxcuatro said:
You're right about the instructions, definitely not for the novice.
I've mounted the front towers, used the sawzall on the fender wells.
Could have used another set of hands while positioning them but I got them done.
Will post pics when I find them.
I pulled the bottom leaf from the rear pack and replaced it with a longer load leaf, I've got a Downey aux fuel tank back there and plan on mounting a tire carrier so there's more weight than what I planned on when I bought the kit. The rear shackles should be forward a bit more to get proper angle.
I was going to order another set of rear hangers from Sky but now I think I'll wait and wheel it for a bit.
Front pinion angle came out acceptable, didn't rotate the knuckles, have dual cases so tha helped out quite a bit. Rear shaft has a front cv so no problems there.
Definately post some pictures. I would like to see your shock towers. A few questions.
1. You didn't cut the front towers down? (think you answered in a round about way)
2. Did you move your rear shackle hangers back 4" ? Mine definately need to be moved back as the shackle angle was terrible. With just a little up travel the shackles would end up hitting the frame.
3. Are you running a front drive shaft in the rear?

·
Registered
465 Posts
No I didn't cut the towers down.

I don't remember how far I moved the rear hangers, I followed the measurements given in the instructions. I tacked things in place, opened the tailgate and put my tool chest on it to try to simulate a load. Didn't get it quite right though, as you can see in the pic of me backing out of the garage for the first time. Shackles are almost vertical. Springs have settled in about 2 inches since, it was REALLY tall at first, angle is getting better.

Yes I'm running a front shaft in the rear. I also had a long slip yoke/spline added to the front, got it from Marlin's.

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
Here is the driver's side shock tower. Don't have a pic of the passenger side.
The rear attachment point is higher than the front but the shock is parallell to the tubes. Passenger side is slightly different, both mount points are a tiny bit more centered but tube and shock are still parallell. Difference in frame? I doubt it, probably just my shitty workmanship. Tough to finish weld the supporting struts on the engine side, best done with no motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
Another shot, went crazy with the primer, wanted to try it out and it was raining so I threw some on to prevent rust.
Painted it all flat black with a brush the other day, but left the shocks with the nice stock brushed aluminum finish.
Dkirkup, the only BB member I've met in the city, has been kind enough to supply me with plenty of rubber matting to skirt everything in to keep the engine bay clean. Lots of mud out here.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cuatroxcuatro said:
No I didn't cut the towers down.

I don't remember how far I moved the rear hangers, I followed the measurements given in the instructions. I tacked things in place, opened the tailgate and put my tool chest on it to try to simulate a load. Didn't get it quite right though, as you can see in the pic of me backing out of the garage for the first time. Shackles are almost vertical. Springs have settled in about 2 inches since, it was REALLY tall at first, angle is getting better.

Yes I'm running a front shaft in the rear. I also had a long slip yoke/spline added to the front, got it from Marlin's.
Thanks for the pictures. I will tack my shackle hangers in place(instructions say 4" back) as well and put more then 300lbs in the rear to simulate how it will sit after break in.

Did your front shackle angle get better? Mine front shackles are straight up and down. I failed to follow the advice of some on here regarding mounting the spring hanger reverse of what the instructions say. Maybe that was only if you have the stock length springs? :confused:

I don't want to have to cut into my inner fender to fit my shock towers. :( If I remember correctly you have the 14" travel shocks and the tall towers. (17") I am contemplating taking Chris G of Marlin up on his offer a couple weeks ago of trading mine in. I am hesitant about cutting the shock towers and eliminating the larger mounting surface area. (if that makes sense)

·
Registered
465 Posts
4RnrRick said:
guess you never heard of newspaper and masking tape..... :flipoff2: But I do like the bracing you did......
I held a piece of carboard in my left hand and did my best to protect the engine. The nozzle on the spray can got plugged so I swapped it with a nozzle from a can of undercoating. Spray stream was way to large then. I'll take a pic of how it looks now, not so bad.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Renaud33 said:
Did your front shackle angle get better? Mine front shackles are straight up and down. I failed to follow the advice of some on here regarding mounting the spring hanger reverse of what the instructions say. Maybe that was only if you have the stock length springs? :confused:
My front shackle angle is acceptable, but I believe I'm using a longer spring, the standard 5" AP supplied with the kit.

As for cutting the fender wells, I didn't have to relocate anything under the hood, but I do have a 1 inch body lift (from our good buddy Roger Brown). I know body lifts aren't the best solution, but mine really makes working on the rig a whole lot easier in a lot of respects.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cuatroxcuatro said:
My front shackle angle is acceptable, but I believe I'm using a longer spring, the standard 5" AP supplied with the kit.

but I do have a 1 inch body lift
I have the the 3" long travel springs. (TOYFRONT3 ??) No body lift here and no intentions to add one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts