Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 271 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apimpdad's 95 Tacoma SAS & Buildup

Finally picked up a new project after selling my Tundra over 2 years ago. I was looking for a truck for quite some time, but I couldn't bring myself to pay the $5k+ asking price of the beat to shit 4 cylinder Toyota pickups locally. I ended up buying a 1995 Tacoma 3.4, 5 speed, 4x4 Regular Cab off of a buddy who had sank and hydro-locked the motor for $1k. After a salvage yard motor swap, new clutch/flywheel/misc. other parts to get this thing running and road worthy, I had about $3400 into it total. Now the fun stuff starts...

1995 Tacoma Regular Cab 240k miles on truck
1998 motor with 138k miles, timing belt changed at 109k
R150F 5 speed transmission with new clutch, flywheel, misc. seals
manual shift chain drive transfer case

Plans are:
Dana 44 front (completed)
Stock rear axle
front suspension will be 3-link with coils
rear suspension will be Chevy 63's w/ add-a-lead if needed
Toyota steering box with hydro assist
probably 4.88 gears, detroits front and rear
35" tire
Tube bed with bobbed/cut bedsides (done
Front bumper w/winch
Sliders (done)
possible interior cage... one day

Main use is for trails, camping adventures, hunting rig, and of course the wonderful Florida mud :flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Could run a forward swing F150 box or FJ80 box and not have to fuck with hydro assist. Defiantly link it's if an option. You're more than likely going to have to run a different rear setup than stock leafs with an aal unless you like the bro truck look or keep the front stupid low.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
links, no question
I'm leaning toward it

Could run a forward swing F150 box or FJ80 box and not have to fuck with hydro assist. Defiantly link it's if an option. You're more than likely going to have to run a different rear setup than stock leafs with an aal unless you like the bro truck look or keep the front stupid low.
Definitely considered the F150 box, this is still doable as well... it depends on what I can come across for a decent price. And I hear ya on the rear leafs... I plan on keeping the front as low as possible but if these 05+ leafs wont work, I will just do a Chevy 63" spring.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How is the v6 / standard cab combo power wise ?
Have you ever compared it to an extra cab ?

I'd really like to find one of these trucks.
This is the only Tacoma I have driven with this motor, so I cannot compare it to an extended cab. I haven't gotten to drive this truck as it sits much yet, but the power feels awesome for such a small truck, more than it probably needs honestly but I love it.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
About time you get a new rig!:flipoff2: :laughing:
Just now seeing this, and yea I know. It only took me a week to swap out my motor and have it drive-able, how long has it taken to get your runner up and driving again? :flipoff2:

I'd love to meet up and wheel sometime in the near future. I wanna go up there though, there isn't much of anything cool down here.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Just now seeing this, and yea I know. It only took me a week to swap out my motor and have it drive-able, how long has it taken to get your runner up and driving again? :flipoff2:

I'd love to meet up and wheel sometime in the near future. I wanna go up there though, there isn't much of anything cool down here.
I drove it on a beer run this morning :flipoff2:

holler at me when you're ready to hit some rocks!

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My buddy Walker came over and hacked up the bedsides and got them to fit pretty good. I added a little bit of tube work to the cage as well. It is coming together pretty good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Something about that bed design looks strangely familiar :flipoff2:
Just copying some asshole I know :flipoff2:

Honestly though, I reference your truck constantly when talking to people about why I am doing this truck the way I am. Your truck is still in inspiration.

Good to see you still around as well. Still have your Tacoma?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Just copying some asshole I know :flipoff2:

Honestly though, I reference your truck constantly when talking to people about why I am doing this truck the way I am. Your truck is still in inspiration.

Good to see you still around as well. Still have your Tacoma?
Yeah man, but it's just a DD/camping rig at this point.

Funny we both ended up in Tacoma's :laughing:

That's going to be a cool build :smokin:

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah man, but it's just a DD/camping rig at this point.

Funny we both ended up in Tacoma's :laughing:

That's going to be a cool build :smokin:
Thanks man. I still have my 06 Tundra too, just in case I need to trailer the Taco somewhere.

I'll be patiently waiting on a new build thread with your name on it with tons and links :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Didn't touch the truck this weekend, decided to take it off and catch up on some rest. I did do the passenger side valve cover gasket on Friday and will probably do the driver side next weekend. The bedsides are done for the most part though, I think they turned out pretty good.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 271 Posts