Pirate 4x4 banner

201 - 220 of 271 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
I'm a month late, but I had the same issue when I had my front/rears done. A bunch of bla bla bla metric bla bla bla. But they got it done in about 10 days. Nobody wanted to do a 2 piece rear so I was just happy it was finished. Still nothing? It's a wonder that they cant just turn down the sleeve to a standard size... I cant imagine there isn't one close to it.
They did my front shaft in about a week with no issues, but I don't think it had that necked-down bullshit like the rear has. Either way, they said the material should be there tomorrow and to call them to get an update. I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that it will be done by this Friday, even though I don't necessarily need it.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Got the shaft yesterday. Went to put it in today and the fucking flange on the Atlas doesn't match the drive shaft pattern. Had to make a call to Jess @ HAD to get one machined to my pattern. The shitty thing is that there is a decent lead time due to all the KOH stuff going on. Not a huge deal really, he said he should have it done by the first weekend of February which is one week before my first planned ride of the year. We will see what happens

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Atlas skid plate has been started. Decided that 3/16" material would be sufficient for this as there won't be much flat surface area, plus the design will add a lot of rigidity.

This will be welded to the new rear crossmember and will bolt to the existing transmission crossmember. That way, I don't have to pull the entire crossmember/skid plate to do something simple like change fluids or drop the transfer case.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
How much does the atlas skid stick down below the frame level? Hope it doesn't look like a hernia under there...lol

Nice work nonetheless. I want to put an atlas in my rig so I'm watching your progress.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
How much does the atlas skid stick down below the frame level? Hope it doesn't look like a hernia under there...lol

Nice work nonetheless. I want to put an atlas in my rig so I'm watching your progress.
I'll have to get a side picture next time I am in the garage. It does hang down a lot lower than I would like but that's the highest I could clock the Atlas without some major work. I'm thinking that the short wheelbase will help with the breakover angle and will prevent the skid from dragging much at all.

Appreciate the nice words. Even though I haven't gotten a chance to wheel it or even drive it yet, just playing around in front wheel drive in the yard in double low is awesome :D. I already like it a lot better than a set of yota duals

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Maybe I missed it, but how are you supporting the atlas? From the pics it looks like it's just hanging off the back of the tranny.
That is correct, just using the stock transmission mount to hold everything up. I did some research and pretty much everyone said that they had theirs mounted the same way and had zero issues with it. The tail-housing supports were generally a big no-no but the inspection cover mount was a good way too help support it, I just decided against doing even that. We will see how it holds up.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Oh man, with what you have invested in that setup I would support the Atlas with an inspection cover mount, or something else, just to be safe. Now is the time to do it before you break something at the worst possible time... But that's just my worthless .02

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Oh man, with what you have invested in that setup I would support the Atlas with an inspection cover mount, or something else, just to be safe. Now is the time to do it before you break something at the worst possible time... But that's just my worthless .02
Well, you talked me into it :flipoff2:

Seriously though, I gave it some thought and you are right, this pig needs some extra support... I just have to figure out exactly how I am going to do it. I ordered some parts to re-do the transmission crossmember and I am probably going to poly mounts on the motor and transmission mount, and then an inspection plate mount as well. This also means that I will have to re-do the skid plate that I almost finished. No worries though, it will be worth the extra effort in the end.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Sorry. It's for your own good. You'd hate dumping your tcase (or worse) on the trail at the worst possible moment much more than I would. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
sweet build. love the battery tray support... i need to do that on mine asap!!

sweet skids as well i like the attention to detail you have. :grinpimp::grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #218 (Edited)
For the flange, yes. Granted, it is KOH which I knew about and he told me about, but he asked me when I needed it by and said it would be here by the time I gave him. Well, it's not here. It's been 2 days shy of a month since I ordered. He said it hasn't even been shipped yet but a week and a half ago when I called him, he said it would be shipped the following day.

The driveshaft was done by a local shop which took them around 40 days to complete. This part is what I am really ticked off about. There is no reason why it should ever take that long. They said it was because the tube they needed was on national backorder.... I have a hard time believing that

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
The skid I was building has been scrapped, going to go with something a little more substantial in protecting and supporting the Atlas.

Decided to go tie the original crossmember in with the new rear crossmember and add poly mounts throughout the powertrain. 4xinnovations mount is being used to support the trans, some poly bushings from ruffstuff will be used to support the Atlas (still deciding on a design), and I am taking my chances with a set of motor mounts from RuffStuff that I think will work. Those should be here tomorrow.

The mount for the Atlas will be bolted to a 3/16" plate that will sandwich the inspection cover to the atlas. I have that already cut out and drilled, I just am trying to brainstorm a few ways of mounting it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Got the ruffstuff motor mounts installed and they are a direct, bolt-on fit (they are different heights in the first pic, but there is a plate that goes on top of the stock mount when installed, so with that in place, they are the exact same height). Took it for a test drive and the vibrations are definitely noticeable but more than manageable. No more shifter movement and it honesty feels like it is shifting better/smoother. Only thing that I need to do now is trim some more sheet metal around the twin shifters for the atlas. After the new mounts, the front wheel drive lever won't shift into high. No big deal though, it will be a 15 minute fix with the air saw.

Attachments

201 - 220 of 271 Posts