1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is for a coil setup I am doing

If I was to move my front axel forward
is there a limit as to how far I can go
before it looses it's mechanical advantage.

Taking into consideration fenders, frame extensions
so on, and so on.

Thanks
:)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Of course extending wheelbase is always a good thing in zuks, but if you are moving the front axle forward just to gain a better approach than anything more than 90* approach would be a waste.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If your coiling the front your gonan gain some approach anyway. Depending on what size tire your running your probably not gonna need to go far. Yea it would be nice to have a 90degree approach on the front but how often is it gonna do you alot of good anyway?? Unless your running 205's still :)

Departure on the other hand :) I dont think anyone forgets taking you samurai out the first time becuase you couldnt wait and landing on that gawddamm steel hitch bar!

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
BigFrank said:

If I was to move my front axel forward
is there a limit as to how far I can go
before it looses it's mechanical advantage.

:)
It will lose it's mechanical advantage when the slip yoke pulls off of the splines. :flipoff2:

Next:confused:
(I don't know what you are asking)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
DSI said:
departure angle 100+degrees
100 degrees? New math? It may be good, but it doesn't allow you to defy gravity. :D

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
M.Martian said:
The biggest issue that you will run into by putting the axle too far forward is with the steering.
Unless you go full hydro....

I have almost a 90* approach and departure angle....it is nice pulling up to a big rock or coming down off of a ledge and not worring about hitting either end.

I think i pushed my axle forward about 10" past the stock location....It made so that i could run 38" long links............allows for tons of flex!

Make your coil mounts where the stock tube goes across the frame rails in front. then go full hydro steering with a 4 link front end and you will be fine.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
My front is extended 1.5 inches and I have 33's. That being said I have about 87 an degree approach angle with no bumper. You don't have to go all that far with coils to get a good approach angle

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the help.

Approach angle may not have been the best title
for this thread.

All I really wanted to know is, does it matter how far forward I push my front axel.

The problem has been solved.:)

·
Registered
600 Posts
you have allready have the mechanical advantage using coils that way you dont have bumper-shackles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.