Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a $HIT ton of calibers associated with the ar10 and can be chambered in basically anything... I have a bolt action rifle in 7mm mag but looking for a semi auto large bore

What is recommended for these.... obviously something not so exclusive it can't be shot without getting a second morgage.....

With that said I was thinkiing .338 lapua (range and accuracy)

but what is the general concensus on caliber for the ar10

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
7.62 NATO. I'm going to slowly build one for myself and it will be the only 7.62/308 gun I'll ever own

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
.308. Can buy it at Wallyworld (or any sporting goods/gun/whatever store if you don't like WM), can run mil-surplus, can handload for pretty wicked range and accuracy (maybe not what you can out of a .338, but I can't afford to plink with .338) if you like.

I got kinda spoiled early by the AR15/AK47 side of things, where everything interchanges (more or less) across whatever brand/variant, and I'm sorta disliking that so much AR10 stuff is AR10 specific. It's not necessarily bad, just annoying, it looks like a bigger AR15, but it only shares a handful of parts, and what it doesn't share, Armalite doesn't share with DPMS, which (probably? never actually seen one) doesn't share with anybody else's .308 AR-style rifle.

Another thing I'm finding is, unless you run the same configuration and ammo as several others, the semi action isn't necessarily tuned, and may take some tweaking. Not like my AR15, where it was slapped together, had a magazine full of Wolf stuffed in, and it ran flawlessly till I was out of ammo, this one takes some tuning and tweaking. Kinda fun, but kinda frustrating (particularly when you just don't have enough of those unique parts, to swap stuff enough, to get it to run right).

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would say .308 /7.62 NATO in an AR10. In theory you should be able to get it in any .308 based cartridge, .243, 7mm -08 and so on. Larger cases like .30-06, 300 win mag and so on wont fit the mag/action.

Theres a lot of different ammo for .308 from plinking to 1000yd match ammo.

I don't know anything about accurizing the AR10. I would think that it should be somewaht similar to the AR15's.

If you are not locked in on the AR10 have you considered the M1A? Several manufactures offered it and thare is a good bit of info on accurizing them to match levels. Many of the military service rifle teams still shoot the M1A/M14 in competition, and use this rifle as the scout/sniper backup weapon. That would be my personal preference, but I have a match grade M1A, so I'm biased. A good one of these rifles can hold groups to less than 6" @ 600yd with the iron sights and some to less than 12" @ 1000 yds with match ammo.

Another great semi is the old M1 Garand. I have 2 both in 30-06 but would love one in .308. Every so often you can find these for a song. Again there is a large amount of info available on accurizing these. These were the first semiauto military long range match rifles so the army did a lot of work to get the best accuracy posible from them. The Garand is a bit harder to mount a scope to than the M1A however.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Again with .308. I have one as well as an AR15. While I opted to go with the short barrel for now, it's still accurate enough at the range(s) I shoot.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
There are a $HIT ton of calibers associated with the ar10 and can be chambered in basically anything... I have a bolt action rifle in 7mm mag but looking for a semi auto large bore

What is recommended for these.... obviously something not so exclusive it can't be shot without getting a second morgage.....

With that said I was thinkiing .338 lapua (range and accuracy)

but what is the general concensus on caliber for the ar10
The 308 is the base for the .243WIN, 260REM, 7mm-08, .338FED and .358WIN

So using any of these rounds you could use the same bolt.

The .308 has an OAL of 2.80", I 'think' the longest you can go in the Armalite and DPMS magazines is 2.9"
A 338Lapua has case lenth of 2.7" and an OAL of 3.68". You are going to be very hard pressed to get an AR10 to work with that round.

The .338 FED is faster then the 308, fires a heavier bullet, and produces greater muzzle energy. I am not up on available bullets for this round, but if you can get omething with a high BC this just might make the ultimate AR. Federal claims the .338 is comparable to the 30-06.

Also since these rounds are based on the 308 handloading from USGI brass wont be an issue.

Looks like the 450 Marlin would also work, but I believe you need a new bolt.

Anyway check out
http://www.ar15barrels.com/calibers.shtml
Randell has a great reputation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts