Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my new barrel back from warranty but they sent the old one back too. After looking in the parts bin all I need is a stripped upper to build a complete upper.

The chamber was slightly too tight, what's the best way to go about safely opening it up.

And mock up of the new set up... just waiting for the kids to go to bed to actually install the barrel.

·
Premium Member
10,659 Posts
A chamber reamer would be the right way but you can epoxy a spent case to a short rod through the primer pocket, hand drill and some lapping compound.

·
Premium Member
17,856 Posts
Or Cratex, a rubberized abrasive on a dremel mandrel would also work well.

·
Surgical Shotgunner
15,752 Posts
can you expand on "chamber was slightly too tight"?

was it too tight to eject a case? too tight to load a case? over pressure signs in the brass?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Have you chamber cast to see where the issue is in the chamber?

You can rent a real reamer from 4d cheap to do it right

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's an awesome idea but unfortunately they don't ship to Canada. Haven't done a chamber cast.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Was the case gouged or deformed at all? How far off are we talking? If it loads a round but won't eject there should be signs of something holding it in place on the brass. Obviously you got the round out that was stuck, what did it look like?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
That's an awesome idea but unfortunately they don't ship to Canada. Haven't done a chamber cast.
That sucks. I know ptg almost always has 223/556 reamers on clearance, guess they sell so many. A Manson solid pilot is 100 and they will ship internationally
Was the case gouged or deformed at all? How far off are we talking? If it loads a round but won't eject there should be signs of something holding it in place on the brass. Obviously you got the round out that was stuck, what did it look like?
Cerrosafe and equivalents are pretty cheap on ebay, or just sharpie the crap out of a case. It would tell you better if the issue was something like a burr or something bigger like the neck being too tight

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have used a chamber hone for a .357 Mag revolver cylinder in the past with excellent results. It looks like the hones you use on engine cylinders. They are available from Brownells.com in Iowa. You will need to get some of the special honing oil that is sold to use with it. If you use anything else it will destroy the hone. Ask me how I know. Also you need to know if the chamber is chrome lined, if it is, forget the hone, you will destroy it in short time!!

This was recommended by Glen Zediker who has written several books on reloading and AR-15 building. His book on AR-15 builds is really worth the money. He covers just about anything you would want to know about AR's. He has two books out on AR's, you want the one with the red cover. It is an excellent step by step with pictures kind of book.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts