Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my situation, I bought two axles (complete hub to hub) and each have arb air lockers in them.

I have a york compressor, a tank, an air manifold (from btb) and that is it. I am new to the air locker install process and do not know what I need to install these under my FJ-40.

I know that I need air lines (from pump to tank to manifold?) and I know that I need switches for the pump and each arb.
I heard that there is an alternative to the arb switches?

Where is the best place to purchase these essentials and what do I need.

Thanks for helping me out (in advance)!
LOCOJOE

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Have a look at this:
http://www.gulfcoastrovers.com/all/switch/
No electrics to worry about, just air line which you have to run anyway for the electric solenoid.

I have one similar to this, but mine is plastic not brass. Love it. You get a cool hiss from behind the dash when you switch it off as the pressure bleeds out.

-tom

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
so will a 2'x8" round tank prssurized by a york operate the arb sufficiently? i think i read that it needs constant pressure to operate. i've been told that the yorks shouldn't be run at higher rpm's then idle (or 1500 or whatever if you've got a hand throttle to help build pressure faster), meaning you shouldn't cruise around with the york switched on.

just trying to figure out if i really need the arb compressor on top of the york setup i've got.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know three dudes with fj-40-s who run york compressors for their arb air lockers. I am not really sure if they run the whole time though.

One of them runs some sort of kick down device to get his idle up when he is stationary.

I have a hand throttle that I went to the local bicycle shop and compiled for about $17.00. I have a bracket for a quadrajet I took off of a 73 van and the adjusting nut for the hand throttle (bicycle gear shift cable) fits into a hole that I think was intended for a cruise control cable. The bicycle gear shifter I got also has a tension screw on it so that I can set it at a constant throttle or let the return spring (from the carb) return it to its starting position. This is way cheaper than the one that rubicon express advertises for approximately $25.00 before shipping.

Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts