Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a lot of wetness in my engine compartment, and I couldn't figure out if it was the engine or the ARB....but the other day, I noticed drop of fluid hanging from the bottom of the ARB's release valve....you know...the area where the air pressure is released when you turn off the unit?

This should not be the case. What do you think is the cause, and what would you suggest I do to remedy the situation, besides take it back to the ARB refered shop that installed the locker in the 3rd. I ran the lines, but that shouldn't make a difference.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Internal seals need replaced, they are allowing blow by. I had a friend same problem for months, he called shops ARB etc and was todlit was "normal". Then the seal went completely out, unit failed on the trail.

Took it apart repalced all the seals and the leak was gone too.

Hope that helps.

- Shawn

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
this happened on a friends new dynatracts on the second run we did not think mutch of it. Make sure your breather is not cloged, that is what helped his, but did not fix it
Don't know if that means anything just a story

Ian-

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Mine was doin that too but it was because I overfilled the York compressor:rolleyes: and was getting that oil in the line. It wasn't diff fluid... :(

·
Registered
158 Posts
A little bit of oil blowing out of the release is normal according to ARB. You should have a buddy flip the switch for you a few times while you watch the relief port to see how much is comming out. If you hold a clean piece of paper in front of the port any oil spraying out will be obvious.
Something else to try, put a pressure gauge on your diff breather, lock the diff and let it sit for a while. If the pressure goes up much at all there's an internal leak from the air system that could be allowing oil to get into the lines when its not locked. This will be easier if you've extended the breather.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Just had that happen to my shopmates toy. It was a cloged breather line. Acording to out ARB guru friend (I sware he can install one with his eyes closed;) The breather gets cloged, the diff fluid heats up and expands, pushes through the seals in the arb and eventualy comes out the valve. Acording to him as long as you catch it right away you won't have a seal problem.

Shopmates ARB has been working fine for the past month since he fixed the line and has no notisable leak even when running all day locked up in the snow.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I have been meaning to extend that breather anyhow....that would be a good test...and was one of the things I had in the back of my mind. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Its either a plugged vent line,
or a something preloading the seal (inside the 3rd,)
first thing to do it clean out the vent lines, if it still does it, pull the the 3rd, I have never setup a toy arb, but i have done a lot of others, but i assume there is a bracket in there rubbing the seal housing

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
its probally not a seal issue, because its holding air, it just pumping oil, you have a preload issue

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
unless you use an electric compressor, odds are good its the oil in your engine driven compressor that's coming through the solenoid, not the other way around...???...right?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Mine does the same thing, only on one of the solenoid valves. I use co2 for an air source, so that's out. HHmmm, have to check the breather in the morning (hoping I don't have to change the o-rings) Where is the best -IE quickest- place to get spare o-rings?

Could it possibly be the bulkhead fitting? Sorry dumb question.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts