Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently finished doing an axle swap. I went from a Super 35, to a Ford 8.8. In the process, I went from a Detroit in the rear to an ARB. After installing the axle and Compressor, I proceeded to do the leak-down test. Sitting in the driveway it will hold pressure for at least 30 mins. (Probably longer but I didn't want to wait for it to turn on.)

My problem is when I am out wheeling, it will hold pressure fine until I get on an incline. Once on an incline, it pumps about every 3 seconds until I return to level ground. Once I get to level ground it holds pressure fine.

Any ideas what is going on?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't own an ARB, but I am thinking a line leak around the rear axle connection. On an incline the rear suspension may squat and move the line in the connector or something.

Maybe pressurize the line and wiggle the connections around at the rear axle to look for a leak. Move the line around under the jeep too to see if there is anything leaking if the line moves.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It's a 90 PSI system, so it's not tough to hear where a leak is coming from. I can't imagine what the incline would have to do with it. The next time it's leaking, cut the motor and let the compressor do it's thing while you crawl under and listen for the leak during the time the compressor is off.

·
Registered
97 TJ - 5.7 Hemi - Round Tires - Roof
542 Posts
Funny thing, this JUST happened to me a week ago. I found the leak was on my compressor where the black plastic meets the metal (see pic). Turns out the seal was wasted and caused the two pieces to separate (see in the pic). Run the compressor (with the engine off), use a small amount of soapy water in the area and see what happens. The compressor itself is loud so the soap narrows it down. If the leak is there go to http://store.arbusa.com/Air-Lockers-C7.aspx click on "Parts and Service" (it's in red on the right side of the page). You will find the part # there if this is the issue. Good Luck..

Attachments

·
Registered
718 Posts
It's a 90 PSI system, so it's not tough to hear where a leak is coming from. I can't imagine what the incline would have to do with it. The next time it's leaking, cut the motor and let the compressor do it's thing while you crawl under and listen for the leak during the time the compressor is off.
x2

When you get a leak you know it and you can usually hear it unless its very slow. Got me?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
and in case it would internal (O-ring or so) you could also hear it through the diff vent ...

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
If anyone else is having a problem with the compressor O-ring or you are still looking for one I threw some up on Ebay after reading this post. Way quicker shipping then ARB.
if you're referring to my post: that wasn't about an O-ring in the compressor, but in the diff ...

·
Registered
72 Posts
if you're referring to my post: that wasn't about an O-ring in the compressor, but in the diff ...
Nope more towards PacificNWestJeeper post. But you'll end up having a leak at the compressor too if you have that style. The NEW style ARB lockers with the X instead of the older ring on the side with an o-ring of the locker itself doesn't seem any better. I've got a brand new Toyota V6 one and it's still shooting dif oil up the air line. LAME!!!!! :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts