Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used arb 4cylinder third. it leaks bad from inside the diff out the vent line. emptys a 2.5 gallon tank in about 3 minutes.

so the ? is how hard is it to replace the orings? Will I need to reset backlash? any tips or hints? anything else i should replace will in there?

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Are you kidding? :eek: I never noticed it leaking down. I guess I couldn't hear the compressor running over the exhaust leak. Let me know if I can do anything for ya. I appologize.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Have you verified the leak source *is* the O rings? Might be a nick in the copper line, or even the bulkhead fitting.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its cool brendan, I should of checked before i installed it, my fault. luckily I am running it in the rear so pulling it wont be bad, i just have to get the parts ordered cause i dont have much free time and i cant pull it and wait 2 days for parts.

DRM it is highly possible that it is the copper line. I noticed it looked like it had some scuff marks on it. anyone have any luck using a copper pipe splice fittings(compression) since that arb part cost $60? I would just be worried about vibrations, but if I locktight the fittings and I have enough clearance between the carrier and housing it should work, right?

·
Registered
210 Posts
buy the kit ,comes with o rings , buy the housing too if you dont have much time , i have seen the orings wear out the housing ,, plus the housing comes with the brass tube that was mentioned .. and yes reset backlash ...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
If it's the o-rings, you won't need to reset the backlash. Changing 'em out is pretty easy, just make sure you use a lot of gear lube when installing 'em.

There's also an internal seal in the carrier and you'll need to reset the backlash if it's bad. Good luck and hopefully it's an easy fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts