Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, I have a 92 Ranger with a ARBs F&R and the Rear ARB isn't engaging. I removed the air line at the housing and switched it on to check for air psi, which was fine. I switched the front air line to rear locker and tried that, it still didn't engage. The front ARB locker works fine. The rear ARB locker works normal as if it isn't engaged, it just want engage. There isn't strang sounds coming the rear end either. Please help!!!
Thanks

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
WOW! :eek:

you have an air leak downstream from your solenoid, either in the blue line, fittings, or seal housing. start looking.

welcome, and watch out newbie!:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
You say you switched lines to one that you know was working so it shoulden't be the line.

Does your compresor turn on and off like there is a major leak in the diff and it is not holding air. You can also check the diff breather to see if air is coming out.

If neither of these things are hapening I would take the truck to whoever installed the ARB, or someone who knows these diffs. You probubly have a mechanical problem inside the diff itself.

good luck!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
when he says he switched the lines he just attached the rear line to the front solenoid unless his front blue line "grew" to be long enough to reach the rear, reroute it, and attach it to the diff.

I doubt he did that, he just did what I previously mentioned... odds are the prob is not mechanical, he's not getting air somewhere.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I had the same problem in my Zuk. Take it back to the installer as it may be the actuator inside the diff or one of the pins.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Who says his front air line is shorter than his rear? Mine is acualy longer in the front because I placed my air system in the cab. Plus it is a good idea to keep a couple of extra coils in your air line ziptied someware on the chasis so if you rip it out of your housing you can simply cut the zip tie and lengthen it back down to your diff. If he had done that he could also use the front in the rear.

He also said that he pulled his air line off and there was pressure. I'm guessing 3 things; bad seal in diff, metal line in the diff bad, or the internal mechanical assembly was damaged.

And since he didn't mention that the compressor was cycling or running constantly (witch is probubly the most obvious thing with an air leak) I'm guessing it is not leaking.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Ok back to tech...pull the breather line off and see if you got air rushing out, if nothing suspect moisture or clog....pull diff cover and inspect line....have seen them pinched before otherwise try pulling a vacuum on the line with a vacuum cleaner to see if you see moisture....could try a little marvel mystery oil to free things up if it isn't leaking otherwise you need to tear it down and replace the chuck....

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119421

this thread has a pic of a drop out style toyota suzuki 9" diff, see that copper line, maybe the brazing leaks? or maybe you have torn the blue line, or destroyed a bulhead fitting, you can catch sticks in there or jar them to hard, install them incorrectly!

Just pressurize it like this guy did (in the above thread) and you will find your leak, if air is coming out your breather, it could be the 0-rings, or you could have toasted the housing (rare) these things take some awesome abuse!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Alright, be REAL honest now...
Did you run it low on fluid or do a bunch of one-wheel burnouts?

The plastic piston inside the ARB melts at 375 degrees... if you got the diff hotter than that, you probably melted it into a glob and it won't engage.

Otherwise, hook everything up, and pop the diff cover off, engage the compressor and see where the air is going.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow,, you guys are great.. Thanks for all the help on this. I go thte Ranger with the ARB already installed and I don't know who didn't which was a few years ago. I'm going to try and do the little things first. Like checking for air at the breather and pull dif cover. I did change the dif cover over the summer. There isn't any kind of special additive that you ad to the gear oil is there? I don't drive the Ranger all the time, I'm in the Marines and I was gone for the past six months and my wife only drove the Ranger one or twice while I was gone. To the guy who asked if I do burn outs, that would be crazy, so no I haven't. The rear locker was working before I left it back Aug. and the way I found out for sure that isn't working was jacked it up and check it. Cause I got stuck and saw the rear wuoldn't lock up. Thanks for all the help.
I'll be working it this weekend..

·
Typical White Guy
3,709 Posts
USMCracing said:
I was gone for the past six months and my wife only drove the Ranger one or twice while I was gone..... The rear locker was working before I left it back Aug.

Have you asked your wife if she mistakenly messed with it while you were gone? For example, accidentally hitting the switch when driving down the road. Might give you some insight as to what is wrong.

PS...... approach your wife with this very very carefully:eek:
________
Bondage Anal

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
OK, My wife knows how to drive a 4x4 and knows about the ARBs in the Ranger. And when she drove it she only drove it on base, which the top speed of her driving it is 25 mph and she is a careful driver. The switches would be hard for her to push on, saying that the compessor has to be on first. Thanks

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
it sound like one of the o rings are out. But that could just be me :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Oh yah how long have they been in there

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
USMCracing said:
I'm in the Marines and I was gone for the past six months and my wife only drove the Ranger one or twice while I was gone.
Ok, I see a couple of possibilities here.....

First off, it is a Ranger:flipoff2:
Second, you said your wife only drove it a couple of times while you were gone, but what about her boyfriend????? He probably raced the crap out of it because anyone that smootches a Marine's wife while the Marine is out of town has to be crazy.:D

Serioulsy though,,,,,,When you switched the lines, did you do it at the compressor, or at the diffs. When you disconnected the line from the rear diff, and turned on the compressor/rr locker, air came out. But, that does not mean there is not a leak in the line for sure. You would still get a lot of air from the diff end of the line if there was a small hole in the line, or a leak at the compressor fitting. Once connected to the diff, there would be enough backpressure to blow the air from the leak. If you swapped the lines at the diffs, and the front locker still works, but the rear does not, you got issues in the rear diff.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Keith said:

Ok, I see a couple of possibilities here.....

First off, it is a Ranger:flipoff2:
Second, you said your wife only drove it a couple of times while you were gone, but what about her boyfriend?????

Keith must be thinking about his wife when he is writing about your wife:flipoff2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts