• above 105 PSI

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the final stages of setting up an onboard air that will run two ARB Air Lockers and serve to air up tires and use air tools. Took some time to narrow down exactly what I wanted but I think I'm close, I just want to get some input on what kind of PSI you're *safely* and *reliably* operating your ARB Air Lockers with an onboard air system. I don't want to risk blowing o-rings and pushing gear oil out the seals, been there, done that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
The pressure switch comes on @80psi or less and shuts off @100psi

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I run at 95# because ARB says they like 95#. So that's what I do.:D

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone have any luck running them *lower* than the recommended pressure? Just curious, I came across some conflicting information while searching the archives...

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My plan is to run a York to a manifold that will have a pressure switch, a gauge, the two ARB solenoids, a safety valve and input and output lines. The output goes to a tank that has a drain valve, another safety valve, and two outputs, one to each end of the truck (to quick disconnects on the bumpers).
I already have the York, tank, manifold and various components, my question and poll stem from the fact that I wasn't sure what kind of pressure I should run the system at so that 1. I can air up and use tools effectively and 2. safely and reliably use the OBA to power my ARB's.
Initially, I was going to tee the ARB's off with a pressure regulator so the ARB's operated at a safe pressure and the rest of the OBA system could run at higher PSI's, but consensus seems to be that if I run the whole system at 90 PSI I'll still have enough air for my needs.
My only two obstacles are 1. I want to keep the system as simple as possible, and 2. I don't have a TON of space in my already crowded engine bay.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Edit-

Why not take the line for the ARB after the air tank, then you can fill up your tank, and run the regulator for your ARB at whatever pressure you want, yet your tank can still fill up to maximum(set) pressure.. and use the other outputs on your tank for a front/rear/gauge..???

Any issues doing this?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, honestly, I just hadn't thought about that...now I need to redraw my schematics so I can compare it to the older one. Thanks for the help, 'ppreciate it!

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Cool - Let me know what you come up with!

In about a week or two I will be doing the same thing... :)

If possible maybe show your schematics online, and the parts you are going to be using.. I could use another ARB write-up :D

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
I run an adjustable regulator -- my ARBs will engage well below 50psi. I've never felt too secure engaging them below that (no peace of mind that they are fully engaged).

ARB recommends a sweet spot right around 90psi (depends on which ARB fella you talk to). Keep it under a hundred and you'll do well...

Randii

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
94YJGuy said:
Edit-

Why not take the line for the ARB after the air tank, then you can fill up your tank, and run the regulator for your ARB at whatever pressure you want, yet your tank can still fill up to maximum(set) pressure.. and use the other outputs on your tank for a front/rear/gauge..???

Any issues doing this?

That´s what I´ve done and it works just dandy.........;)

I run my ARB at around 70 psi.........

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I would run a seperate regulator for the ARB's - much safer than having it tied to the main curcuit. ALSO - if you are running it off a York be sure to have an air/oil/water seperator on between the comp and the air running to your ARB's - would suck to ruin your ARB's due to contaminated air.

I run my OBA at 120psi, with a 3 gallon tank. Takes a minute or so to fill, but then it will do just about anything.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I run mine through the whole above mentioned range. Usually b/t 80 & 105psi. but a few times I forgot to turn my compressors on or they went out and they worked flawlessly at 40psi or so...

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I run mine at 95psi.
fyi- they make really neat noises if you run them at too low pressure as they lock and unlock ander load:eek:

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I run my front ARB at 90PSI.

The rest of the air system runs at 250PSI, and is regulated down for tools and other stuff.

Yea, a Sanden/York setup can easily do this.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I run my OBA system at 120psi and then I run my ARBs regulated down to 80-85psi.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I run 80-85psi front and rear from my powertank. I think I read in one of my ARB instruction sets that they take between 80-100. I've had the rear for over a year and the front for like 6mos. No problems yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts