Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this work/ I put together a decent system for the tank ( approx. .25 cu. ft.) and ARB solenoids , but am not familiar with the reliability and amp draw characteristics of these pumps . Does anyone know if there is a fan shroud for stock radiator with 350 motor being sold by anyone? How long will my sm420 that pops out of third only last ? or is it o.k. just anoying?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
No comment on the pump. I think max psi of the ARBs is 80. I ran an RV pump, actually used for water pumps in the sink. I never had problems. It doesn't take much air to actuate them.

Classic Cruisers in Salida, Co makes a nice shroud for your radiator for use with a V8.

Rebuild your 420, it is cheap and easy to do.

·
Registered
133 Posts
shouldn't be a problem

I am using a cadillac pump but with a bit larger tank to run both front and rear ARB's. I haven't had any problems yet.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Max on the arb's is 95 psi and they will engage at less than 70 psi. I used their (arb) pressure switch on my York setup, and aside from the airing up of tires, it is all you need. BTW, most of my air tools call for less than 100psi anyway. So it's all in volume of the compressor pump, where more IS good!

I pitched one of those air ride pumps just last week. It didn't look like it was up for the task in a Cruiser. Post up if it worls for you, they are cheap in the junk yard.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Re: ARB Pressure

CruiserGreen said:
Not to argue, but officially-...
Even more officially... from the ARB service and spec guide...

"...maintain the air pressure ...between 585 kPa and 690 kPa.."

Using the old TI-89.. I get 84.84707657 psi and 100.076039 psi

Buuuuuut.... spaceghost is right, they will engage much lower than that. They just don't advertise it so you can't call and complain... :D

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
ok nerd alert.. instead of reading books. and arb websites.. how about on trail use.

im running the stock cadi compressor with stock tank. got it at junk yard for $10. bought an extra just in case. ive been running my front ARB for a year. with no problems yet. WORKS FOR ME.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
My Dad runs one with a 1 gal tank in his Heep. He uses a switch like the one Kilby sells. It's a little slow to come up but runs the ARBs just fine. Cheap too.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
ChevotaSS said:
ok nerd alert.. instead of reading books. and arb websites.. how about on trail use.

im running the stock cadi compressor with stock tank. got it at junk yard for $10. bought an extra just in case. ive been running my front ARB for a year. with no problems yet. WORKS FOR ME.
Thats what I wanted to hear about!

Sorry if I was off on the ARB pressures, their switch shuts off at 95 psi, and I would be very careful about letting it get much higher, that will cause the seals to leak, or blow out. I was surprised at how low they will engage, a single ARB, engages at 45psi or so. and I have never had one disengage on me without releasing the pressure.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I have had my ARBs set at 80-85 psi for about 5 years and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
The seals in the Air Locker is good to about 120psi, but we want a safety window, so don't like to see them over 100psi. It the lab, we take them up (static) to 170psi, but wouldn't reccommend it.

Minimum depends on the model Air Locker. The 9" Air Locker is probably the easiest to lock in at around 40-45 psi. The big Danas need 60-70 psi. It all depends on the internal spring pressure.

The easiest way to make sure your air compressor is running in the right range is to use the ARB pressure switch #C-035 and let it regulate the air pressure for you.

If you don't want to go that route or have a compressor that with pump up to a higher pressure, run a small inline pressure regulator to a manifold and run your solenoids off that. There's been a couple guys on the board who've posted some nice manifold set-ups they built.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Tech Tim said:
The seals in the Air Locker is good to about 120psi, but we want a safety window, so don't like to see them over 100psi. It the lab, we take them up (static) to 170psi, but wouldn't reccommend it.

We have been blessed with the expertise of Tim Lund of ARB fame... :D

Thanks for the tech Tim... I still need to get with you on that ARB technical article... ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts