Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A co-worker was following a truck and this thing fell out of the back and got drug under his car a ways. Knowing I weld he gave it to me - sweeet. Nuttin a little duct tape can't fix.

Anyway, it's a solor job - I've never had an auto darken one before - anyone know anything about this one?

thx

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My buddy has an ArcOne, don't know what model it is but its pretty nice. Big window with 4 sensors and 3 settings "Grind/Mig/Tig." I think he spent about 160 on it.

Usually they are standard window sizes, so if the helmet itself is messed up, you can take the lense and put it in another helmet.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been welding with this for 3 days or so and I gotta say my eyes are sore..

Is there some trick to this - all I have used is the non-auto darken jackson hoods in the past. It is convenient though..

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Is the shade in it adjustable? Every brand will be a little different. One brand you may like one shade. Another brand you may want a little darker. My eyes are pretty sensitive and I end up changing the shade often depending on what position I'm welding in.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
I have had the same hood for about 3 years, and never had a problem with it. The only bad tinhing I dont like about it is it only has solar sensor. I wish it had couple sensors on the bottom of lens as well.

Kyle

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the shade in it adjustable? Every brand will be a little different. One brand you may like one shade. Another brand you may want a little darker. My eyes are pretty sensitive and I end up changing the shade often depending on what position I'm welding in.
I don't know that it is the shade, more that there is an arc before it goes dark, or atleast it feels like it.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Hmm.. I dunno. I've heard people say they dont like the auto hoods for that reason. But I dont know if its true or not. The speed of light is fairly quick :D So I doubt it would stop 100% of it from getting to your eyes. I only use my auto hood for mig. But thats cuz its a fixed lense at 9 and I like a 13 for most of my stick.

If its bothering your eyes though you defenetly need to change something. the eyes are a precious thing and not something to take a chance with.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Yet another thread that reminds me why I use a fixed shade helmet. I learned "The Nod" what, 30 years ago? Works for me, batteries are never dead, etc.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yet another thread that reminds me why I use a fixed shade helmet. I learned "The Nod" what, 30 years ago? Works for me, batteries are never dead, etc.
me too, but this was free - you'd probably try a free one too :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts