Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of Arctic Cat ATVs?

Is the quality of their drivetrain stout?

I noticed that they are the only manufacture that has IRS for a good portion of their product line.

Have you ever broke a component of one of their machines?

Where are the drivetrain parts made? Japan?

-Grant

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
There stuff is ok, they are partly owned by Suzuki so alot of the drivetrain is Suzuki.

·
Discount!
4,539 Posts
They do use Suzuki motors, but the quality and craftsmanship is kinda on the low side, but then again they are a good deal cheaper than the competition. I'm not saying they're junk, infact I've ridden them before and with the automatics and 4wd they're alot of fun! But they are kinda cheaply built.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
well if the quads are built anything like the snowmobiles stay away!!!I ride a polaris rmk 800,,my buddy rides a a/c 800 mountian cat 800..so far for me in 1500 miles I have only cracked a jug letting coolant in and fouling a plug,,300$ fix..His artic cat @800 miles lost a jack shaft bearing,,820miles lost a piston skirt wich caused major motor failure,shortly ater that another recall came out on the pistons so now at under 1000 miles he is on his 3rd motor.Oh and can't for get the broken chain either,,I will admit a/c has repaired all items under warranty but geez' how much warranty work needs to be done on a new sled..Not cool..i know a/c also has problems with other model snowmobiles and also quality issues as well...so bottom line with crappy product at least they have good warranty..:eek:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Suzuki builds the engine and drivetrain. Artic Cat build the suspension and frame. I like the articulating rear axle but have never rode one.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'F You had only $3500.what 4x4 Quad U get?

please help me out
Want a decent 4x4 QUAD,but

Will i have to go to Oregone to get it or am i missing the 411 on how to get a 4x4 quad,

I admit i dont know much YET about 4x4 Quads,

But the new Yamaha with the LOCKERS and on off with them so i can turn ect ect looks kinda good to go? ***yes / no **:D

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
From what i have read and seen I think the honda is the way to go.I know the polaris was a wheeling machine but don't know about the yamaha or any problems they have had..maybe a tri out to the woods and ask some guys that are riding them how they like it and what problems if any they have had..Thats what i did when I built my sand rail..I went out and asked for some rides in tifferent type sandrails,,some guys let me drive them..i got a feel for what I wanted and did not want,also likes and dislikes..I think it was the best way to decide what to build..

·
Registered
58 Posts
If 4x4 is what you have to have, I'd go Polaris. I've never heard anything good about the Arctic Cats,actually. Maybe I talk to wrong people, though? But, Polaris really puts the beef into their machines. I have a Scrambler 500 4x4. I've never had a problem, good machine, powerful and climbs like a mountain goat. It for sure will hold it's own w/ anything else on the trails, as far as that goes. The track might be a different story, however. Just another opinion in the toilet bowl.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have owned a Artic Cat 500 for 2 years. Abused the shit out
of it, no problems so far. 1000 miles, use it for plowing the drive,
clearing brush, and going to Tellico.

Check( atving.com )for more advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts