Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
No first hand experience w/ the 38" nittos. I run little 35" big horns haha.

I know one guy from Idaho that runs the 40" mud grapplers (load range D) on a cj7 and he does very well. They are grooved considerably but he uses them for snow only and runs them at very low pressures.

Next snow season I will have a set of the 38" nittos on 15x12 allied beadlocks. I am planning to only groove them, no siping. My CJ is 3000lbs ready to rock. Should float awesome with the big balloons.

Any tire will dig if it's not broken in and/or has too much air in it. I constantly run my tires 0-2lbs when snow wheeling. I found my jeep goes best when there's just enough air in the tires to keep the inner bead from falling off

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Also, I messaged arctic trucks on Facebook to see if these tires can be purchased and they replied, "Yes it is possible to sell the tires to the US, we would have to find out of shipping and other things. Can you please send an email to [email protected] with this request?"

if anybody is interested there you go!

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
A friend runs these in the mountains of Lebanon (currently snowy, and lasts for a good winter season)...they did very well in the snow...as they were designed to...

I stuck to the 36 Bias Iroks for a more all round performer on my DD...but I have seen the 35 Interco Trexus MT do well, and I know they have a 38.5" version...that would be my choice if I were States-side and can fit 38.5s...

Anything larger and I think the 42" Iroks served me well from 2006 to 2012 on my trail rig...hoping the 54" TTCs will do even better this season when the truck is done...

The issue with snow is the quality varies across the season, and even within a day...so chasing the "perfect tire for all snow" is gonna be hard...and I prefer to opt for the best all round at the size I can fit...

·
Registered
270 Posts
There is a huge hole in the off-road tire market and this tire nails it!

I have spoke with arctic trucks and they want $709 a tire plus shipping from Iceland! That’s just ridiculous.

I did some reasearch. They are manufactured in China by one of the top five companies. From what I can find on alibaba.com they are sold under lakesea, waystone, Nokian, and Dino for about $200

If ANYONE with a tire connection can look into this further and locate a source in the US or even Canada. I’ll buy you a case of beer.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I just bought a set of the Mud Grapplers in the 38x15.5xr15 for my DD Bronco about three weeks ago. I'll give you my opinion. I have run "Dirt Grips", "Baja MTZ" and the "SSR" on this truck in the same size. (The first two are not made anymore)

The Nitto's are the loudest when new. All the others were pretty quiet when new and get louder as they ware. These are fairly loud brand new. It's not real objectionable, kind of sounds like an airplane. I hope they don't get louder as they age.

They are also the smoothest running.

I have no balance weights on them and they appear to not need it. The Swampers and Dirt Grips definitely need balanced.

As far as off road, I haven't done much yet. I did drive through a scrap yard after a rain storm that had about 2' of mud. I was in 2WD and thought I might need to lock the wheels, but they worked great. I was pulling a heavy trailer that I'm not sure if that hurt or helped. Lots of weight on the tongue. They don't really look as aggressive as in pictures. But seem to get pretty good traction.

As far as snow, they seem to do great in the deepest Florida snow.

·
Registered
270 Posts
So a Case of beer still goes out to anyone who can find an AT405 connection in the US or Canada.

They could be sold under Lakesea, Waystone, Dino, or Nokian. I’m seeing them for sale on alibaba.com for $200 a piece.

Maybe someone has buying experience through them??

·
Registered
260 Posts
How much money you got to invest. At $200 per tire, 100 tire minimum, you need $20,000 plus the ride and duties. At $300 per tire, you would have to sell 75-80 tires (20 sets) to cover the costs. Do you think we can find 20 guys to buy a set of 4 or 16 guys to buy a set of 5?

That's not much margin to get someone to import them. Not when they can sell Swampers and make the same money with no risk for returns and blems.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I was able to find a few sellers who were had 4 piece minimum orders. They all had strange responses though. A few said that the tires were a new design and not ready yet

Even if these tires were being sold under a different name, they are still coming from the same place.... Ill keep trying.

·
Premium Member
6,069 Posts
Personally I like this size the best of all I have ran. Tall and wide and works well. Hard to find tires in this size though. My Toyo experiments are not going well here....winter is on the down hill here so I am not worried about it, but I would like to get something better down the road.

Keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I’ve seen that site before. I have been talking to a supplier. I can get a 20’ container of these tires for under $200 a piece... plus shipping.

Does anyone know of tire shop that wants to supply these? I’ll see what shipping is going to cost

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
I’ve seen that site before. I have been talking to a supplier. I can get a 20’ container of these tires for under $200 a piece... plus shipping.

Does anyone know of tire shop that wants to supply these? I’ll see what shipping is going to cost
I’m interested. I know a lot of snow wheelers up here in WA who would buy a set.

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
Man the rim protector just about kills it for me. I've had tires with them before that would burp air like crazy at anything below 6 lbs. Hopefully these don't have the same fate.

What do you need a rim protector on a dedicated snow tire for?

Hoe many fit in a container or what's the total price?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have not heard about bead seating issues. I do know that they have a very soft sidewall, which probably helps the bead staying seated.

I don’t know an exact quantity. I just know they are about $200 a tire before shipping.
It’s i kinda hard to email the Chinese lol.

Arctic trucks wanted $700 a tire.

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
I have not heard about bead seating issues. I do know that they have a very soft sidewall, which probably helps the bead staying seated.

I don’t know an exact quantity. I just know they are about $200 a tire before shipping.
It’s i kinda hard to email the Chinese lol.

Arctic trucks wanted $700 a tire.
OK, well I figured you could fit roughly 100 tires in a container, hard to calculate, because of how they could be nested and compressed, but whatever.

100 tires is $20k and you need to sell 20 to 25 sets.

I'd think you'd have to sell them around $400 ea to get enough buyers, but that could potentially double your money.

It just depends on if you have the time, patience and money to do it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ok I found someone that will ship a 50 piece minimum order. Anyone care to go in on a group buy?

I can get more details on price once I know a quantity. Right now it’s 250ish a piece plus shipping

21 - 40 of 52 Posts