Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be able to pick up some 52" springs for my SAS for real cheap & want to ask if anybody's run that long of springs in front? They're 4" lift rear springs. I don't know what vehicle they're off of, or how many leaves, but they're typical gm/chevy lift springs.

·
Registered
680 Posts
toyota rear springs from a 1st or 2nd gen pickup are free and work good. they are 47" long with an offset center pin eye. they are a little soft though so to help it add a few leaves from a stiffer pack. main leafs cut down or whatever you can find.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Where are you getting rears for FREE?!?!

sign me up

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I may finally get a set of springs this wknd. They're Rancho 3" rears for a H3, brand new, 49" eye-eye (only 2" longer than 44044's), 5 leaves per, 2.5" wide, & priced right for me. Since most guys using 44044's end up taking leaves out to lower/soften the ride, I think these may be a better choice since they're a hair longer, 1 less leaf, and I'd guess sprung softer for a rear application, albeit an SUV application. I do plan to french the mounts so I hope these will work.

Any thoughts on drilling new "center" pin holes an inch or two forward of the actual center pin? Will it hurt ride quality?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think I may finally get a set of springs this wknd. They're Rancho 3" rears for a H3, brand new, 49" eye-eye (only 2" longer than 44044's), 5 leaves per, 2.5" wide, & priced right for me. Since most guys using 44044's end up taking leaves out to lower/soften the ride, I think these may be a better choice since they're a hair longer, 1 less leaf, and I'd guess sprung softer for a rear application, albeit an SUV application. I do plan to french the mounts so I hope these will work.

Any thoughts on drilling new "center" pin holes an inch or two forward of the actual center pin? Will it hurt ride quality?
Don't drill the springs they will crack and break fast. Drill a hole in the spring perch to move the pin into, it will work better. Good luck and sound like it will be a nice set. Are you building your own frenched mounts or are you getting them from somewhere?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advise on drilling springs, Rockdawg. Yesterday I ordered perches from Ruffstuff that have 3 locating holes in them. As of now, I'm planning on making my own frame plates since I want to extend the frame past the frame ends to allow moving the axle forward. I may make my own frenched rear shackle hangers since it would be way cheaper & allow me to come up w/something unique. I'll be using 1/2" 6061 plate for the shackles to match the rear 63" spring shackles.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
I know a guy who runs 57" f150's on a fist gen at both ends and it works great!
52" leafs should be fine, dependent on offset and tire size of course.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Grab the main leafs off a 48" toy rear pack and use those 52" springs to chop down and add to it. No centerpin redrilling(and no hacking off the existing perches only to weld another set on?Did i read that correctly???) and a spring pack thats DEFINITELY gonna work great. Ur puttin all the work into a SAS, might as well get the most from ur hard work...u have aluminum shackles?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I ended up getting the H3 Rancho springs from the guy last wknd. They are basically new, so I'm stoked. Yes Booger, I run 6061 shackles on the rear made from 1/2" plate & I'll do the same for the front. As for the spring perches, I got those last wk. as well. I did some basic (rough) measuring & it looks like I'll need to extend the front frame horns about 4-5" to get the axle to sit 4" forward of stock ifs location. I'm ok w/ even more than that as it will give me a good home for a future winch and I want that axle away from firewall for the 40's I hope to someday run. I'm still FAR from getting started, but hope to get all the oil pan junk & shocks in the next couple months.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I know this is the tacoma sectio, but I'm running 52 inch springs in the front and 63 inch springs in the rear on my 1st gen hilux and it flexes like crazy.:D

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
search the yota pickup section. theres quite a few who have run the newer style yota rears which are 51 or 52 in front.
:smokin:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I ended up getting the H3 Rancho springs from the guy last wknd. They are basically new, so I'm stoked. Yes Booger, I run 6061 shackles on the rear made from 1/2" plate & I'll do the same for the front. As for the spring perches, I got those last wk. as well. I did some basic (rough) measuring & it looks like I'll need to extend the front frame horns about 4-5" to get the axle to sit 4" forward of stock ifs location. I'm ok w/ even more than that as it will give me a good home for a future winch and I want that axle away from firewall for the 40's I hope to someday run. I'm still FAR from getting started, but hope to get all the oil pan junk & shocks in the next couple months.

Just need oil pan junk & shocks. Then I should be ready.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts