Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2014 Ram 2500 4X4 . It has the linked rear suspension with coils . I'm pulling a 36ft Gooseneck enclosed/toyhauler trailer . When I hook up and lower the trailer to the ball the truck is dropping about 6"+ . Are the Air Bag kits I'm see the answer to my problem or is there a better way to go . I see some have onboard air and others I guess have to be pumped up from another air source . Thanks for your input .

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've had them on 2 trucks and they work Awsome .the first was a Tacoma 06 that I pulled an equipment trailer with a heavy TJ on it and it made a world of difference.the second was a 13 ram 2500 diesel which I pull a gooseneck and a dump trailer with it pulls the dump better (12000 g v w) but they are not needed on my gooseneck because it is lite ( 24 foot deck over pulling same tj)

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I have 2014 Ram 2500 4X4 . It has the linked rear suspension with coils . I'm pulling a 36ft Gooseneck enclosed/toyhauler trailer . When I hook up and lower the trailer to the ball the truck is dropping about 6"+ . Are the Air Bag kits I'm see the answer to my problem or is there a better way to go . I see some have onboard air and others I guess have to be pumped up from another air source . Thanks for your input .
Assuming that is a Cummins, you are probably well over rated payload, so you will need to make up for the stock truck short comings.

Airbags are likely a must. I have been eying Hellwig's (they are a little larger than the others, should improve ride) and install looks very simple.

Hellwig Air | Hellwig Products

Firestone and Airlift are popular and can be used with the Daystar cradles for improved suspension travel off-road.

Daystarâ„¢ - Driven by Design

As far as how you air them up, that's personal preference. I typically just air them up from an external source since it's cheaper.

Given how much weight you are running, it would be good to scale the truck and get front and rear axle weights, and ensure your tires have enough load rating.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The BEST way to go would be to upgrade to a 3500 dually. If you are pushing the back of a 2500 down 6" you must have well over 3000 lbs of pin weight. A 2500 Cummins has about 2000-2500lbs of payload. My 3500 SRW has 4300 and a dually has 5000+.

That being said airbags are probably your only option to make your truck kind of work. Like others have said make sure you're not overloaded on your Tire ratings. A blowout with that much weight could be deadly.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm running 285-19.5 Toyo's so I have plenty of tire . Rated at 6500# each , more than a dually set-up . I was just curoius about the air bag set-up and which one was best for the $$$ . Thanks

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I'm running 285-19.5 Toyo's so I have plenty of tire . Rated at 6500# each , more than a dually set-up . I was just curoius about the air bag set-up and which one was best for the $$$ . Thanks
Cool. The Hellwigs sure look good from what I have read/seen. I may go with Firestones on my 2500 though as I want to run the Daystars I think...

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
frank33m:36882777 said:
Tires being rated that much is one thing, but your suspension isn't that capable

·
Registered
413 Posts
Tires being rated that much is one thing, but your suspension isn't that capable
OP should probably start a thread about increasing the capacity of his suspension then uh? Maybe one about adding air bags would be a good place to start. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Firestone airbag kit on two of our pickups. 30+k of hay used to make the dodge ride on the bumps, now you can make it ride level with that easily. onboard compressor is the way to go, just make sure you empty all the air out when you're empty, rides like a brick.

Easy to install too, at least on leafs. I think you can buy kits with internal bumps too so you don't have to have any air in the bags.

·
Registered
543 Posts
How hard would it be for the OP to just replace the coils with Airbags on those trucks? It seems like it would be a better way to go than just a helper bag.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I run the Firestone Riderights on my 3/4 ton. I simply have the schrader fill valves located on my rear bumper by the plate and fill them with my Viair compressor. You can buy in cab fill kits with its own dedicated pump, I already had the Viair so I just get off my ass and fill them manually.

I know some on here are the tow narcs and will swear you'll kill a bus load of orphaned nuns, but keep it at your rear axle weight limit since that seems to be your limiting factor with the 19.5" tires and don't tow at 100 mph and you'll be fine....as long as common sense driving is common to you!

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
The BEST way to go would be to upgrade to a 3500 dually. If you are pushing the back of a 2500 down 6" you must have well over 3000 lbs of pin weight. A 2500 Cummins has about 2000-2500lbs of payload. My 3500 SRW has 4300 and a dually has 5000+.

That being said airbags are probably your only option to make your truck kind of work. Like others have said make sure you're not overloaded on your Tire ratings. A blowout with that much weight could be deadly.

Well over as in easily 2-3x that. 3000lbs never sagged my 2500 anywhere near that. More like 2.5-3".

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Well over as in easily 2-3x that. 3000lbs never sagged my 2500 anywhere near that. More like 2.5-3".
Even with the overloads, 3k in the bed would damn near set it on the bump stops on my 3/4 ton:confused:. That's why I added airbags.

·
Registered
15,012 Posts
they really help out on my half ton. before the bags if i hit like a dip in the road it seemed like the bumper would slam down to the ground just towing my s10

i have a system from air rite that i put on around 2010. last year the bags started splitting and one leaked, they replaced them free of charge as they are warrantied for life. good thing too cause they were 100 a bag.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts