Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm guessing the 6" figure is a "it was dark and I was drunk" type of determination.

If his '14 2500 sat 6" lower in the rear, it's because he remove 2" of factory bump stop :laughing:

I just measured my available up travel on my bone-stock '14, and it's under 4".

So yeeeeaaaahhh,,,,,Internet dimensions yo :shaking::D

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
You don't need airbags. You need a bigger truck or smaller trailer. That truck is design for a certain amount of load. If you are exceeding it you are overloading the truck. Period. Sure you may have bigger tires and 'cummins bro' but at the end of the way, that truck is overloaded and potentially unsafe.

Air bags are nice yes, but you need to be careful that you're not using them to mask a deeper problem. I have actually decided against airbags on my truck solely because having them would make it easy to overload. Without them it's very easy to get a good idea of how much load I have based on squat....

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
I'm guessing the 6" figure is a "it was dark and I was drunk" type of determination.

If his '14 2500 sat 6" lower in the rear, it's because he remove 2" of factory bump stop :laughing:

I just measured my available up travel on my bone-stock '14, and it's under 4".

So yeeeeaaaahhh,,,,,Internet dimensions yo :shaking::D
This also depends on where your measuring, 4" at the axle could very easily be 6" at the rear bumper.

I would definitely recommend a set of air bags with on board air. Seperate out the bags side to side on the air system so they can't "transfer" air from side to side in a corner. Helps keep you leveled out. Weight transfer while cornering can lean the truck over and the air from the outside bad will move to the inside bag and let the body roll, keeping it Seperate will keep the truck allot more level.

Also like was said, look to see if there is a kit to swap out to full bags and get rid oof the coils. I have been contemplating picking up a rear air suspension from a MDT and seeing what it would take to mount it under my tow rig, they ride allot better when empty and handle the weight much better.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I've had 2k in the bed of my '15 2500 and it just leveled the truck out. I can't imagine how much pin weight it would take to make it squat really far. That being said, it seems that a full coil to bag swap with an onboard compressor would be the way to go. The suspension is already done, just make plates to mount bags in place of the coils.
Travis..

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
You don't need airbags. You need a bigger truck or smaller trailer. That truck is design for a certain amount of load. If you are exceeding it you are overloading the truck. Period. Sure you may have bigger tires and 'cummins bro' but at the end of the way, that truck is overloaded and potentially unsafe.

Air bags are nice yes, but you need to be careful that you're not using them to mask a deeper problem. I have actually decided against airbags on my truck solely because having them would make it easy to overload. Without them it's very easy to get a good idea of how much load I have based on squat....

Air bags are great to give you back the up travel when loaded. I run my service truck 300 lbs under the axle rating, but with 80 lbs in the air bags it rides at factory height. Without air it's way into the overloads and handles like shit. Bump the air up and it drives and handles way better and I'm still under weight. :flipoff2:

Mine has Firestone's, they work. I just put the valves by the fuel fill and use shop air since I'm there every morning. Just make sure you get a kit with beefy brackets. We ripped a set of side mounts off the frame of a drw350 crossing ruts and flexing them. Popped the heads off grade 5 1/2" bolts from the kit and made some loud noises. :homer:

·
Registered
332 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
I know 90% of one ton owners run over carrying cap in their trucks without any knowledge but I like to have exact weights so I know just how bad it is.

For instance, I have a 2008 Ford F350 4x4 with a 11,500 lb. GVWR. Curb weights vary from source to source but Ford claims 7,773 lbs. curb weight and I've seen it as low as 6,698 lbs. Carrying cap is listed around 3,640 lbs. by Ford and GCWR is listed at 23,000 lbs. which means the Ford only backs up issues when towing less and a 11,500 lb trailer. That is GROSS so technically any towing of over a 10K trailer is not suppose to happen for this truck haha.

My truck scales out a 9,260 lbs. with a full tank of fuel, front and rear bumpers, standard toolbox part full of misc. stuff and without me. So that leaves 2,240 lbs of actual carrying cap TOTAL, think of 4 people in it, standard camping gear and luggage, that pretty much puts me overweight. lol. All my extras do not weigh anywhere near 1,487 lbs, more like 1/2 that, so at best Ford under estimated the curb weight by at least 700 lbs.

Sorry for the rant but do not believe any of the weights listed for capacities by vehicle manufactures! Go to the scale and weight your truck first then use the rated weights of axles, tires and truck to determine what's right for you.

Oh, and helper bags are awesome! I have a set of firestone's on my F350 with a air lift wireless controller. Love it.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
just make sure you empty all the air out when you're empty, rides like a brick.
A note on this: A buddy of mine who works for Hellwig told me NOT to do this. He said always keep at least 10-20lbs in the bags. Running them empty will wear them out prematurely. He compared it to running a tire low. It will over work the rubber and wear out the bags.

Knowledge is power.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Airlift's onboard air systems will auto inflate to at least 10lbs so that you can't run them low. It's a nice feature if you decide to go the onboard air route.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I'd still venture a guess that there is way more pin weight than RAM suggests. My 2014 2500 doesn't squat much when towing my 35' gooseneck enclosed trailer, nor did it sink out that much when I had (2) 4'x 8' plates of 1" thick steel in the bed (2600 lbs). I doubt you are going to run out and buy a new truck, but there are payload and tow weight ratings for a reason.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
How hard would it be for the OP to just replace the coils with Airbags on those trucks? It seems like it would be a better way to go than just a helper bag.
He has the linked rear; there is a factory Mopar part number for the air bag option in place of coils... As someone else mentioned.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts