Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 82 that i'm planning to replace the engine in. i got a line on a 22r from an ifs truck (not exactly sure of year) is the complete motor a direct swap? are there any wiring differences, and do any 22r engines have any type of computer at all to be concerened with?

·
Registered
864 Posts
The only real difference is that there was a short block 22r and a tall block 22r i believe it was 1985 when the tall block was introduced. Not for sure but if you have the whole engine complete then it should be a direct swap with your old engine. You just can't use the timing cover off your old one. No computers on the 22r as far as i know. Just the 22re and turbo'd engines.

·
Registered
777 Posts
also, im not for sure on the year ( 80 or 82 ) some of the 22r motors had a main bearing different..i think it was for an oilway or something,but it is on the opposite side in that motor...but since you'll have the whole motor it will be a direct bolt in as fireman said

·
Registered
537 Posts
81-84 are tall blocks, as is your 82, 85-95 are low blocks. The 86 ifs has a low block engine which will pop into your 82 with no problems at all. The only item that might need alterations would be the p/s brackets mounting holes if the lower strut support did not align. Other than that, you are good to go.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
arn't we forgeting about the heads being differant?? Or are you using the 86's carb and intake or efi?? If you are planning on using you 82 intake it is slightly differant to go on a 85 and later head...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts