Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know 10 people now with 2001 or newer Ford trucks (from ranger too superduty) and only one of them hasnt been in for warantee work with less then 15000 miles on it. I know 3 One tons from 2001 model to 2003 that were all in the shop with less then a few thousand miles for a new transmission. have you driven a ford latly? 9/10 says I'm not getting one anytime soon

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I guess they need to put stronger trannies behind those beasts!

I wouldn't buy a first year motor anyway, even if everyone raves about it. That means I wouldn't buy an '03 6 liter. They need a few years to work out the kinks.

First On Race Day

Have you been spanked by a Lightning lately?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
All vehicles have their problems. Lets face it, its ALL JUNK!!!!!
Tranny problems from Fords are nothing new. This has been going on for some time. The 6.0L has not been with out a few problems, mostly leaking rear main seals. Nothing like the problems with the Turtle-Max from GM. I am a pro mechanic, and while I do not work on this light duty stuff myself, I know a lot of guys who do. The Turda-Max has been scattering very quickly, with ANY slight modifications done to it (exhaust, intakes, chips, etc,....). The guys who work on the GM equipment swear this engine is total crap.
Of course Dodge has the problems with the fuel pumps in the ISB engines:rolleyes: I have not heard anything yet on the new ISBe engine they are running now, except that they are a bitch to work on.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I own a 2002 Superduty oilburner six speed. No problems at 12k.

The autos behind the Powerstrokers suck, They are known to go out if you use overdrive when pulling. I havent heard of a six speed going out except for the clutch.

The 2003 with the new 6.0 motor is in its first year of production and is experiencing lots of problems with oil leaks and a bunch of other stuff. You couldnt pay me enough to own this truck at the moment...

The Duramax had its issues as well. same with the Alison tranny.

Every thing does. Just do some research before you buy something and you will figure out what to avoid and what to get..

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
I just did the research and went Cummins. Just picked up a 99 3500 QC dually 4x4 5sp and love it. Why Cummins? Duramax I dont trust yet. Too new. And the Turds, yeah, everyone I know with one has had problems of some kind. Usually tranny or electrical.

So comming from someone that DID do the research, just recently, the Dodge was the clear choice. And for what it's worth, I think it's a crime to put an auto behind a diesel. The Allison has a chance, but still, I'll take my NV4500 any day. :D

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
everybody is has their preference but think about it. these motors may be new but its not like some guy building gas motors one day decided to build a diesel. Isuszu has been building diesel truck motors forever. Dodge and Ford dont build their own diesels either. I have an '03 duramax and I had an '02 before some a'hole in a volvo knocked me into oncoming traffic. I have over 40'000 miles with never a problem. anyone ever notice that the guys preaching about the problems have never actually had it happen? they heard from some guy that read somewhere that bla bla bla.

·
Registered
668 Posts
It is all luck of the draw these days. I can give you real world examples of many new Fords with zero problems, as well as many with lots of problems. Same for any brand.

I have been lucky. A Navajo (Ford) that gave me 200,000 miles with zero major maintenance issues, and my '99 Super Duty has given my 124,000 with zero problems. Pops '97 F150 has over 100,000 and has had zero problems.

So it is pure luck, you get a POS or a good vehicle.

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
well, Ford's in general are pieces of crap. :flipoff2:

But the new diesels are made by International, and they kick some serious ass. Sigh.... if only Navistar made a light duty pickup again with one of those in it.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Sully said:

But the new diesels are made by International, and they kick some serious ass. Sigh.... if only Navistar made a light duty pickup again with one of those in it.
First off, Ford kicks ass :flipoff2:

Secondly, they thought about putting a 6cyl version of the powerstroke into Rangers and F150's, but NOBODY would have bought it, people dont like diesels.... stupid people.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Sully said:

\

And thats why they have out sold Chevy and Dodge for the last 26yrs:confused:
International has made all their diesel motors since 83.

Lets face it they all have good and bad and if you like something then all you see is the good and if you don't then all you see is the bad. I do know that the Fords made down in Mexico are not as good as the ones made here. My Ford is made in the USA and has been great but a friend has one made in Mexico and had 3 or 4 different problems.

·
Registered
816 Posts
they say that word of mouth is the best advertising. Just look in the classified and see who has mor listings of used stuff for sale. one hint it aint dodge.

·
Registered
221 Posts
66CJdean said:
\

And thats why they have out sold Chevy and Dodge for the last 26yrs.
Because they separate GMC and Chevy which are the same.

Personaly I would not own an American brand car. Then again I don't need a tow vehichle yet!

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Even if you throw in GMC it is still the same but the duration will change.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
the only problem i have had with my 2001 f150 ford truck was with the factory tires they started seperating at 3000 miles and ford replaced them with a new set of tires of my choice

it now has 18000 miles on the v6 motor

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will admit I know nobody who has had problems with the half tons, just the super duty and exploror/rangers. Maybe the Sper Duties here are all made in mexico?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts