Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had a Ranger (aka Mazda B2300). The damn thing always had something going wrong......nothing major just little shit all the time. I have a friend that has a an f150 that's had 2 trannys and 1 new motor....the headgasket went south. Fords just don't feel solid to me. Everyone I have ever been in had crap squeeking in the interior (new and old ones). Funny thing is those idler pulleys go on Fords like no other. I hear that distinctive "whine" and I know a Fords comming down the road.

As for the diesels couldn't tell ya never owned one and don't know anyone with one.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
as to the Dodge fans it's built Ram tough with FORD Stuff Ford owns Cummins and has owned them since dodge started pushing the cummins 6 so why do you think ford didn't put it in their own trucks??? the stroke is a better engine pulls better higher torque & Hp that's why it toasts slushboxes. Haven't found a bad 5 or 6 speed in a p-stroke.

The only thing good about the new chevy turd-a-max is the allison stuck behind it for the wusses that don't know how to drive a stick.

Tell me when the last time you saw an 18wheeler with a slush box ..... next to never except for some of the newest ones designed for light hauling & they expect to replace them every 40-50k & this is on a million+ mile truck

As to all fords they RULE I've got a 90 ranger with 250k+ miles on the stock 2.9 6 banger all I've had to repalce is the bearings in the tranny b/c original owner didn't change tranny fuid b/c it came with ATF in a manual tranny figure it out stupid all the mfg are doing it in light duty trucks so they don't have to stock multiple fluids in the factory. & that's what I drive to work daily. both my brother's have similar trucks & all of us have 250+ little bro's engine went at 389k not bad for a little truck used for wheelin if you don't like Ford then :flipoff2:
as for my 85 project it's gettin a stroked 460

·
Registered
493 Posts
Robert said:
All vehicles have their problems. Lets face it, its ALL JUNK!!!!
EXACTLY!! It really is all junk, they just put different names on the front to tell them apart at the local NAPA.

Personally, I've only owned Fords. BUT, it all boils down to buying something you like, what you are use too working on, and you don;'t mind sticking some $$ into.

Son-of-a-beech...this reminded me of the freakin' middle/high school arguments like my truck/car/tractor/blah-dee-fawking-blah is better than your's...:rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

SHEEEEZZ...If it isn't YOUR money...wo cares
:flipoff2:

·
Registered
982 Posts
demonranger said:
as to the Dodge fans it's built Ram tough with FORD Stuff Ford owns Cummins and has owned them since dodge started pushing the cummins 6 so why do you think ford didn't put it in their own trucks??? the stroke is a better engine pulls better higher torque & Hp that's why it toasts slushboxes. Haven't found a bad 5 or 6 speed in a p-stroke.

nope, if Ford had a large part of the stock in Cummins, but doesn't own them, and if the powerstroke is such an awsome motor, why does Ford use Cummins in their HD trucks, such as dumptrucks, the 1 1/2 ton and heavier? Why are all industrial and commercial diesel motors inline? probably cause they produce more tourqe and last a whole lot longer, the powerstroke does ok for what it was built for, but start upgrading or tryin to run more power through it, see what happens, turn up a Cummins and it'll just keep on truckin, if Ford ever starts using an I6 or I8 diesel, i'd buy one of those, they look good, plenty of room, just don't care for the v diesel

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
aggielr said:

nope, if Ford had a large part of the stock in Cummins, but doesn't own them, and if the powerstroke is such an awsome motor, why does Ford use Cummins in their HD trucks, such as dumptrucks, the 1 1/2 ton and heavier? Why are all industrial and commercial diesel motors inline? probably cause they produce more tourqe and last a whole lot longer, the powerstroke does ok for what it was built for, but start upgrading or tryin to run more power through it, see what happens, turn up a Cummins and it'll just keep on truckin, if Ford ever starts using an I6 or I8 diesel, i'd buy one of those, they look good, plenty of room, just don't care for the v diesel
Lots of specious arguments here.

#1 Powerstroke is the only diesel available in models from F-250 to F-550

#2 Powerstroke, Cummins ISB and Caterpillar 3126B are available in the F-650, with the Caterpillar 3126B and Cummins ISB available in F-750.

Most "Big" trucks are offered with a range of different manufacturers engines to suit different GVW and powertrain combinations. Companies who run big fleets of trucks usually buy vehicles that have a powertrain that their mechanics have experience, parts, and training to fix. I.E. if you have a fleet of 100 trucks, all with Cummins engines, along with the service facilities to service them, would you be interested in a truck that had a Cat or Navistar engine? I think not.

Mack and Detroit seem to have made many different models of v diesels in the past and the present. Packaging constraints are also an issue in many industrial uses as well.

That being said, I have owned five Ford Diesels ranging from a 250 to a 550, and one Dodge/Cummins a 3500. The biggest downfall of the Dodge/Cummins was all of the Dodge wrapped around a good engine. I had more transmission/axle/suspension problems in the 250K I had it than I have had in over 1.3 Million K on the Fords. Only problem I have had on my F-550 has been a pinion seal on the D-135.

·
Registered
413 Posts
NE-RokToy said:
I will admit I know nobody who has had problems with the half tons, just the super duty and exploror/rangers. Maybe the Sper Duties here are all made in mexico?
Maybe I'm just a lucky one, but my 99 superduty has 225k and the original auto tranny. No heavy hauling, lots of highway miles.

My mechanics like the superduty better than any GM or dodge engines and we've got a fleet of at least 30 superduties from 1989 to present.

Bob

·
Registered
641 Posts
1. there is a reason they call it a SLUSH box. I wont buy anything with an auto unless its for my wife to drive. They don't last as long, cost way more to fix and you have to worry about the temp. Plus a manual is just way more fun.

2. What engine did banks use to break the truck land speed record. When it comes to a HD truck it truly is Mopar or no car.

3. If you want everything on it to last you better buy a Yota.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
My work van is a 2002 E250 with the 5.4. I've already logged 25,000+ miles on it without one single problem. I love people who treat their rigs like shit and then bitch because they break.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had a 87 ranger 4x4. It went for over 100000 miles before I needed major engine work. I also beat the crap out of it but I would like to have it back. It was a great little truck. Usually if you take care of it it will last.:D

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
2000 F250 SD, 4X4 Crew Cab, 5.4L 5spd, 51K miles, no problems at all, 1 recall. Used regularly for towing flatbed w/ 4100# Toyota, otherwise daily driver.

Comments:
- lotsa squeaks in the suspension.
- Drivers seat is most uncomfortable I've ever owned
- Gas mileage sux
- Bed seems awfully easy to dent and ding up...a D44 rolling around back there did all sorts of damage to it
- Seems to have plenty of power
- Cruise control engaged, depress clutch, no cruise cancel...engine goes WOT...really pisspoor design, FoMoCo says its supposed to do that.:eek:

Basically, I like the truck.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I have a friend of mine who drives a 2001 f-150 and even since he hit a certian milage his engine keeps miss fireing. He takes it in but the dealer ship can't find the problem or fix it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
newb post with newb comments....

ford is typically the same as any other domestic auto-maker, good and bad points... but to hold up the new diesels by internation, or the old 4 and 6 cylinders mazda made is just unfair...

if your going to bitch about ford's engines, bitch about the 302, 351, 281, 460, and ill even include the 4.0 V6. B/C for the purpose of an offroad forum, talking about rangers, explorers, or 4 cylinders, is just ignorant... the only 4 cylinder's i see on the trail are samurai's, not even YJ's with 4 cylinders have the balls to come to play, which is a shame. :(

Show me a bad long-lived production ford v8.
I can show you a cheby 305 with crossfire :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
My 1996 Bronco runs just fine even if you wheel it and mud it.
Only problem I had was a wiring harness go out cause of all that mudding.
I have the 302.
I will never go to IFS and Modular engines.
Long live pushrods.
Note: I don't consider the Ibeam IFS cause its a cross between IFS and a solid.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'll chime in here. If the Ford and GM motors are so awesome, then why do they have a major redesign every few years?
If Ford "Owns" Cummins then why isn't that 6 litre straight six offered in the 250-350 light duty truck segment? Here's the answer.
Cummins and DaimlerChrysler signed a Long Term Agreement several years ago that made Cummins the exclusive supplier of diesel engines in Dodge Ram pickups through 2007 calendar year. The partnership between the two companies extends from in-plant support to service, on-site engineering to marketing support. Cummins has shipped nearly 1,000,000 engines for the Dodge Ram and we continue to forge a successful team with Dodge and all of DaimlerChrysler.
Does Ford own Cummins? NO, Ford does not own ANY part of Cummins INC.
Those are taken directly from Cummins.com I hope this shuts up the Ford people up about Ford owing Cummins etc. I'm sick of hearing it. SICK SICK SICK

·
Registered
378 Posts
Company car/daily driver - '95 Explorer4x4 XLT - 99,700 trouble free miles

Tow vehicle/family wagon - '02 Excursion Limited 4x4 - 11,000 trouble free miles

The Excursion replaced a '99.5 F350 that only experienced 1 problem before it was sold ($24 speed sensor / replaced under warranty).

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
I have a friend of mine who drives a 2001 f-150 and even since he hit a certian milage his engine keeps miss fireing. He takes it in but the dealer ship can't find the problem or fix it.
Im going to try and translate n00b speak...

"My friends truck cannot go over 92 mph and the truck stutters when reaching this speed, I said he took it into a mechanic so I didnt look like I didnt know anything"

Its made to stop you from going over 92, because you shouldn't be going that fast in a TRUCK. Its not safe, and the company doesnt want you killing yourself. Not that wouldnt go over 92, but that is their reasoning.

I love people who treat their rigs like shit and then bitch because they break.
NO SHIT!!!!!! More reasons why people=stupid. I have heard so many fucking stories of people beating the crap out of their car only to say that so and so sucks because their cars dont work. A friend of mine caught 3 air of feet in his focus and drove it like a fucking rally car (honest to god, he was BRUTAL) later on-
the front left wheel snaps off from a broken axle and other goodies :rolleyes:

I'll chime in here. If the Ford and GM motors are so awesome, then why do they have a major redesign every few years?
Welllllll..... Ford does NOT own cummins or any part of it.. that was pretty off. Ford on the other hand, FUCKING OWNZ Dodge, in the sense that they're just wayyyyyy better.

They sell more trucks, because they're better, so there.

Why dont they sell an inline 6 for the 250/350?

Because they suck to drive around day by day, thats why. Most people who get a 250/350 arent doing HARDCORE towing, they drive it around day to day, and use it to move stuff once in a while, and the Powerstroke does that just fine.

Once you move up to the 450/550, you can get the inline 6 from catepillar... Im 99% sure you can get the cummins too, despite your quote. The Catepillar makes a TON more power than any other of the listed engines here, and Im pretty sure it uses an old school ally tranny too, so there.

Why do they redesign? To sell more trucks... Duh. People want new looking trucks, and better trucks, with newer technology. Changes in technology means the ability to make something better, so they do. I guess Dodge is so perfect they dont use new technology huh? I guess that makes sense now why they SUCK.

*makes repedetive motion back and forth near pants*

I still retain to my original Ford kicks ass, and so did the 281 Indy engine!!! I liked the 427 SOHC just as much though, and it came in production cars. 658 [email protected] RPMS and tq to match, and that was in the late 60's. Did anyone else do that? No, so F off.

Oh, I HATE chebbie too, its not a bowtie, its a fawking BAND AID
GM is the same, so I hate them too. (well, they're better than chebbie in the fact that they're not a SUBSIDARY for crying out loud)

Dave

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
monizuki said:
I hope this shuts up the Ford people up about Ford owing Cummins etc. I'm sick of hearing it. SICK SICK SICK

I am sick of this load of BS too. Ford does not own Cummins, end of story. If anybody besides Cummins, owns Cummins, it will be International in the near future. Cummins has lost major market share to Detroit and Caterpillar in the heavy truck field. Their new ISX engine is worthless. All kinds of problems. The EPA regulations have taken a big hit with extra R&D costs to develop the EGR engines. The company is in big trouble. They are weak to being bought up, and the word in the trade magazines, is that IHC is the most likely company to step up to the plate.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
SR5Dave said:

Secondly, they thought about putting a 6cyl version of the powerstroke into Rangers and F150's, but NOBODY would have bought it, people dont like diesels.... stupid people.

No...............:rolleyes: This was actually a very popular set up. Many people were looking forward to buying these trucks. Ford was concerned about too many people buying these vehicles, and towing or hauling loads outside the vehicles' ratings. Major warranty issues.

This was supposed to be a 5.0L V6, that was rated at similar power ratings as the older 7.3L P-strokes. The fuel economy that the P-stroke wished it had, with the same power, stuck into a 1/2 ton package.

The belief that people don't like diesel is over. Most people are beginning to realize that diesel engines have better fuel economy, better power, last longer, and diesel is cheaper to buy.

·
Registered
469 Posts
diesel costs on average .30 cents over regular unleaded here, making it over 2 dollars per gallon... i have never owned a diesel though and cant comment on how far its MPG goes...

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
281 Quad Cam said:
diesel costs on average .30 cents over regular unleaded here, making it over 2 dollars per gallon...
Wow, that's really fawked up!! Usually, it is just the reverse here.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts