Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering putting together a club run out to Las Cruces, NM area around April/May time frame and was wondering if any of the trails traversed during the annual Chili Challenge run are accessible to the public or is this private land?

Any insight is appreciated.

·
Wheeler
2,780 Posts
From my buddy Hutch who lives down there and has raced that, here is his text back: "Yes most of those trails are open to the public, there are maps available and some directions there still air down at Rocky Acres"

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I found some online maps but did not see anything related to "Rocky Acres".

·
Wheeler
2,780 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I found some online maps but did not see anything related to "Rocky Acres".

PM me your # and I will see if he might give you a call to help you out, he is a good dude and may even show you around, he also has a shop down there and does some nice work .

·
Registered
463 Posts
The trails in Las Cruces are open and are on BLM land (public). The only trails that got closed due to the Trackways Monument usage management plan were Patzcuaro's Revenge (extreme) and Cayenne Crawler (hard). Everything else is still open. I believe there is a map of some of the trails in the Robledos on LasCrucesFourWheelDriveClub.com. Everything in the Doña Anas is still open. I think I have a map on my computer I could share.

The club can no longer get permits to run the Chile Challenge in the Robledo mountains due to the monument status, but private individuals are still free to use the trails. The trails have not been used nearly as heavily as they once were ever since Chile Challenge got moved to the Caballo area in 2014, so it can be a little hard to recognize some of the trails as official paths since most run through arroyo bottoms.

"Rocky Acres" is the name of the paved road generally used to access the trail system in the Robledos, but you can also enter through the airport road (AKA Box Canyon Road) and Faulkner Canyon Road.

You should probably reach out to the Las Cruces club. I am sure they would be more than happy to help out and guide you guys on the trails.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Greatly appreciate the insight. If you don't mind sharing a copy of the map you mentioned shoot me a PM. I'll use this in conjunction with the maps found on the local club site.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Greatly appreciate the insight. If you don't mind sharing a copy of the map you mentioned shoot me a PM. I'll use this in conjunction with the maps found on the local club site.
Sorry, I was on vacation and forgot to get back to this thread. Here is a map from the last Chile Challenge held in Las Cruces of the trails inside the Trackways Monument:

That map is missing a some of the trails that were run for Chile Challenge though. Here is a map with pretty much all of the trails in the Las Cruces area: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QTEBHrSR5DxO0BdTx6GOW3pCwwX24jUW&usp=sharing

What level of trails are you guys primarily interested in running? I assume that you are looking to run the extreme trails since you are coming all the way from Texas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts