Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea im buying a set of arms for my d60 but would like a discussion on if double arms put ALLOT more strain on teh top of the d60 knuckle over the single arms?

DOUBLE ARMS:
Picture this, the drivers side tire is in a crack. I try to turn right so my pitman arm pushes the drag link INTO the Passenger side knuckle. The pitman arm is on the front of the double arm. The tie rod in the back of the axle dosent move cuase the drivers side tire is stuck. the stuck tire will push the tierod INTO the knuckle!!! that means both ends of the arm, 6in from the center frotn and rear are pushing againse the top of the knuckle.

THATS ALOT of force and leverage on the top of the knuckle.

Or is that better cuase it distributes the force on both sides of the knuckle?

SINGLE ARMS:
Now picture a single arm set up stuck in the same hole on the drivers side. The drag link will push INTO the PS knuckle 6.5in form king pin center, with the tire stuck the tierod end (2in further in, 4.5 in form king pin) on the arm will be fixed "STUCK", so the force of the drag link almost complete transfers to the drag link. The only force seen on the Passenger side TOP knuckle is the force needed to turn the un-stuck tire on the passenger side..

SO does the doulbe arm give any leverage advantage? NO, with the tie rod and drag link located at 6.5in from center on each side there is no mechanical advantage, but there is increase strain on the knuckle.

do you agree...

double arms would not have many advantages for me now cause Ill be running leafs, but in the future Ill be running coil overs and would like to only buy arms once, and the doubles would alow what ever Iwant for tierod and ram mounting...over my future builds.

I have a Ford 79 F350 d60, will run Tierod ends..
Axle will be going on the light cherokee with 37s I have, but Ill add a ram and 42s on this axle in future builds..

I dont want this:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Get some knuckles like on the Camo60.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
get stronger knuckles, or better yet, when your tire is wedged dotn try and rip your wheel off teh column! jiMMy

·
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
McSoo said:
Get some knuckles like on the Camo60.
Maby when Im all grown up...

Is your junk running yet mike?

like you guys are saying, I should just buy it then upgrade the knuckel "IF" it brakes, and it wont with my current setup so why do I even worry...

·
Registered
549 Posts
what about welding a brace onto the nuckle and bolt onto the steering arm?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts