1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Optima red locally is about $129

I can get new high warranty etc stout battery for about $85

???

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
i do believe they are especially in a high vibration situations are worth it. i have beat my first to death but a bad alternator from the parts store destroyed it (overchargin) i would say yes. i have read people using the same optima for 10+ years.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I HAVE RAN THEM FOR A LONG TIME AND LOVE THEM.

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
yes,got ten years out of one. if you have pep boys back there they have them for $103 or so. next cheapest i've seen is costco for around $109 i think.

·
Registered
777 Posts
i'll never run another Optima..i bought 1 and it took a complete crap in 2 months..exchange it for a new 1 and it crapped out in 6 months...i'll just stick with my battery i got from Wal-mart for $60 and it does just as good as any other..dual posts,1000 cca..it's good enough for what i do:)

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
Toyotafourwheeln said:
i'll never run another Optima..i bought 1 and it took a complete crap in 2 months..exchange it for a new 1 and it crapped out in 6 months...i'll just stick with my battery i got from Wal-mart for $60 and it does just as good as any other..dual posts,1000 cca..it's good enough for what i do:)
guy i know runs them in all his equipment and ran into a bad batch in 94-95. bad ones are possible but not the norm. imho

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
I Lean said:
I like the Exide Orbital over the Optima....little bit cheaper too, $94.
i would be willing to bet its an optima with a different label

·
Registered
864 Posts
Glad to hear all this, i have an in with a battery distributor out here that will sell the blems to me for 50 bucks. Usually just bad messed up cases stuff like that. Been wanting to get one just haven't yet

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
ive run mine dead about 5 times, welded with it 4 times, once the battery next to it in series exploded. it takes a lickin and keeps on...:D

408jigga has once thats all cracked to shit though?

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
i have red tops in all three of my rigs,
they are worth it just because you dont have to clean terminals every other week.
actually i have abused mine in my bus, ran it dead several times with the stereo, and had the alternator recharge sydrome numerous times now, still good to go.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've been real happy with mine as far as runnin it in my daily driver, but if I let it sit for even a few weeks it totally discharges. The only draw on it with the key off is the EFI computer. It always seems to come back though. (Red Top) I think next time I'd like to get the deep cycle.

·
Registered
656 Posts
In my area, Costco and Kragan Auto Parts have batteries with the same technology as optimas. I've heard their no different. For half the $$$ it's worth it. Check it out.
:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I run a red top in my daily driver, and my 4 runner. Love them both. Dishcharged both at least 4 times each. Still hold a full charge, and work killer. After killing normal batteries, having them leak, dealing with the acid, the corrosion, etc, i stick with the optima. Both of mine kick butt. TOTALLY worth the $130. (tho, costco has them for $99)

Garrett

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
FYI Alabamatoy: Head to your local Co-Op and pick up one of their 1100 cca batteries for about $85... I have run those and Red top Optimas - and I would run the Co-Op battery again when it comes time to replace my current red Top.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
mobil1syn said:

i would be willing to bet its an optima with a different label
Nah, Exide makes their own--there are a few improvements to the original Optima design that make the Orbital just different enough. Plus it's a different color, like anyone cares about that.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts